Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Picture aspect ratio.

Jump to solution

How do I change the aspect ratio from 16:9 wide to 4:3 letterbox?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Picture aspect ratio.

Jump to solution

If you're using the analog outputs, the 4:3 option should be available on the Display menu. If you're using HDMI there's a chance that option isn't available. But 4:3 material should be sent out of the player at the correct ratio if the channel is sending it correctly. If not, any 16:9 set (apparently other than Roku TVs) should have a size function that will put the image where it belongs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
atc98092

Jump to solution

You have provided us with nothing to go on. If you are referring to a Roku TV, I'm unaware of any aspect ratio changing functionality. For Roku players, only devices that offered analog out connections offered different ratios under the Display menu option. For all other Roku players, there is no way to change its aspect ratio. 

Exactly what are you trying to do, and why?

Dan

0 Kudos
GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Express+ with analog outputs and I would like to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 wide to  4:3 letterbox because I can get the full width of the picture with that setting. 16:9 wide enlarges the picture to fill in the screen and crops the edges.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you're using the analog outputs, the 4:3 option should be available on the Display menu. If you're using HDMI there's a chance that option isn't available. But 4:3 material should be sent out of the player at the correct ratio if the channel is sending it correctly. If not, any 16:9 set (apparently other than Roku TVs) should have a size function that will put the image where it belongs. 

Dan

GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So to get the 4:3 letterbox option I must use the analog video output?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I think that's correct, but I'm not certain. I've never used analog output with a Roku. Just a guess on my part from past experience. 

Dan

GaryFink
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes thank you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am pleased overall with my JVC/Roku set, but am frustrated that there is no way to set a 4:3 aspect ratio.  With at least one older DVD I've played and with streaming bonus materials, the set automatically stretches images shot in 4:3 to fill the screen, with no way to display it at the correct ratio. Seems like this could be fixed with a software update. Any chance of that happening?

JVC 55" 4K UHD TV LT-55MAW595

JuliusHMarx
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express which I've attached to an analog 4:3 television (via an adapter). 85% of what I watch is also 4:3 ratio.

Everything I try to see via Roku is hideously distorted and unwatchable. 

I understand the earlier models of the device had a 4:3 option, but that was, for some utterly unfathomable reason, removed.

And their website does not even provide a way to contact them.

The Roku device was an utter waste of money, and I am disgusted with it.

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you have the Roku Express+ model with RCA output, menus will be stretched vertically instead of letterboxed horizontally if you change the aspect ratio via Settings > Display type to 4:3 standard. Their content will not, 4:3 content will be filled, 16:9 content will be letterboxed horizontally.

You should be able to get a streaming player that letterboxes both the menus and 16:9 content, but fills 4:3 content in the 4:3 signal.

4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 Wide are names of aspect ratio settings for digital tuner converter boxes, DVD players and Blu-ray players.

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos