Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenniferstrapp
Reel Rookie

[OS 12.0] Screen goes black

I am having the same issues with my Roku Ultra since the 12.0 update. I have 2 other Roku sticks that haven’t had the update and they work fine. We will be watching and the screen goes to black every few minutes. After 3 or 4 times doing this, it drops the connection completely and we have to restart whatever app we’re watching. It seems to be happening across the board—Spectrum, Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video—we’ve tried all the setting changes, have restarted the device, the router, and the modem and have done a factory reset with no help. Please help. This is very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: [OS 12.0] Screen goes black

@Jenniferstrapp wrote:

I am having the same issues with my Roku Ultra since the 12.0 update. I have 2 other Roku sticks that haven’t had the update and they work fine. We will be watching and the screen goes to black every few minutes. After 3 or 4 times doing this, it drops the connection completely and we have to restart whatever app we’re watching. It seems to be happening across the board—Spectrum, Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video—we’ve tried all the setting changes, have restarted the device, the router, and the modem and have done a factory reset with no help. Please help. This is very frustrating. 

Hi @Jenniferstrapp!

That sounds really frustrating and we want to try to help. 

Let us know your device IDs and software version for each device. Grab this info from Home > Settings > System > About.

Can you confirm you're in the US? If you're using any ad-blocking, VPN, or proxy services, please disable them while troubleshooting and let us know if the problem persists.

If you're able to gather a tracking ID, use this guide here, as it will help our engineering team take a peek under the hood and investigate. 

Thank you! We await your response. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Jenniferstrapp
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 12.0] Screen goes black

the devices that are working properly:

CT 3798274025 software version 11.5.0

CT 3780720574 software version 11.5.0

the one that is not and I want to chuck out the window:

046153574985 serial YJ003D574985

version 12.0.0 updated at 5:52pm on 4/5/23 (I was able to watch just fine that afternoon—this started that evening)

The tracker ID I was able to create is 85-144-069

I am in the US and have no VPN, as blocking, or proxy services enabled. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 12.0] Roku Ultra Update causing issues with many apps.

Hi @Jenniferstrapp

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing with a device updating to the latest OS 12.0 release.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns and device details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

In the meantime, can you please provide us with a video of the issue you are experiencing so we can better understand what you are seeing?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jenniferstrapp
Reel Rookie

Hello!!

I will try to attach 3 videos I took. 2 of them show the blacking out (with sound) that occurs every 3-4 minutes. The third video shows what happens every 4th time. Thank you for looking into this. I noticed there was an update last night, so I installed that, thinking maybe it would fix the issue, but no luck. 

0 Kudos
Jenniferstrapp
Reel Rookie

Well, I can’t get the videos to load so I guess I need help with that too. Haha

0 Kudos