Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ttsig
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] Audio Issues with my Roku Ultra since latest update

Model no. 4670X - Roku Ultra

Serial # - YJ004T152695

Device ID - KWA084152695

Software - 11.5.0 Build 4225-46

Tracker ID 95-427-648

The issue is most noticeable on YouTube TV Channel for me:

YouTube TV version 2.22 Build 105005569

I have seen it on a few other channels, tried for example to watch the football game on the FoxNow app instead of YouTube TV and the result was the same.  I haven't tried to narrow it to just Dolby vs DTS-HD content or go through all of the other channels, but if I set the output to stereo the problem goes away, but of course loses the full surround.

I have no external devices connected other than the single HDMI connection to the audio system (Yamaha RX-V385, nothing special here).

Note I have hard wired ethernet with 1Gb internet, bandwidth seems fine, no drops or low bitrate streams.  Everything worked perfectly until the 11.5 update this weekend (Saturday).

Markus99
Channel Surfer

Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial: YJ00FM304525
DeviceID: CK487F304525
Software OS: 11.5.0 - Build 4225-46
Channel: Peacock (Ver 3.1 - Build 22)
TrackerID: 25-427-813 
Timestamp: 2022-10-25T02:13:14Z
External Devices:  Roku Ultra -> Anthem AVM 60 -> Epson 5040UB.  Not using an SD Card.
Stereo/DD+: DD+

Reproduce:  Turn on Roku, Turn on Peacock, Play show, wait a bit until it starts looking like an old kung-fu movie

Video of issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VgqHdWi9idE9GGyBA

Would also add everything (for ~3 years) was fine until 11.5 update.  This update also killed the eARC ability to control (via RF) the volume of my Anthem AVM.  I used the 'hack' to Enable Receivers via IR, so that works now, but IR < RF

Thank you for the help!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ttsig @Markus99 @Hurrifan1984

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Hurrifan1984 @ttsig 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide the brand and model TV that you are connecting your Roku Ultras to?

Once I have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
D3f14nt
Reel Rookie

Serial: YJ002V628981
DeviceID: CK4892628981
Software OS: 11.5.0 - Build 4225-46
Channel: HBO Max (version 52.45 build 9)
Devices: Roku Ultra -> Denon AVR-X3200X -> LG OLED65E7P (no SD card)
Stereo/DD+: DD+
Steps: Power on Roku, AVR and TV. Open HBO Max app and select content marked with 4K UHD, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos tags.

I'm experiencing this issue as well.  No problems until I upgraded to 11.5 last night. It's apparent in HBO Max with any 4K content that also uses Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (i.e. Dune, The Batman, House of the Dragon).  The audio sounds broken and digitized.  My Roku is connected to a Denon AVR-X3200W then to the TV. I'm not using ARC. 

Wish I had checked the forums before upgrading to 11.5.  Is there any way to  downgrade to 11.0?

Hurrifan1984
Channel Surfer

Hey @RokuDanny-R  - 

From the Roku Ultra I am HDMI out to my receiver... a Yahama RX-A2080 and out from there to Sony projector VPL-VW295ES. Both the receiver and projector are on the latest firmware. Using this same setup since 2018, this is the first time experiencing this since the recent update.

Let me know if anything else is needed. Hope this helps. Thanks!

0 Kudos
seth_success
Reel Rookie

I got an update to 11.5 build 4235-C2 and this seems to have fixed the issue for me. 

0 Kudos
D3f14nt
Reel Rookie

I also installed the latest update 4235-C2 but the weird audio issues remain albeit not quite as bad as before.  Whatever Roku support did in this update, they made progress but it's not fixed.

I'm still testing with HBO Max.  Only tested with Dune and The Batman but both have issues still.

Edited to Add: Issue ID: 81-429-305

Mayhem724
Channel Surfer

I just installed the latest update from today also and it didnt fix anything for me. All the issues are still there

sakendrick
Streaming Star

Audio Drop Outs (YouTube TV) since 11.5

My setup hasn't changed at all but I updated my Roku from 11.0 to 11.5, and then today there was a subsequent update. Since doing so, audio drops every few seconds... it's a very brief blip in the audio and it happens continually while watching YoutubeTV. Didn't notice it with Hulu. I've tried unplugging everything leaving for 10 minutes, then plugging back in. I looked through audio settings and tried Dolby Digital instead of Auto. No difference. I dont' see the HDMI settings any more - perhaps one of those changed in the update, but not sure where they are. Will look for roll back instructions if no solution.

In terms of setup (again - this hasn't changed) - HDMI goes from Roku to TV, TV optical out into Yamaha AVR. Network connection is wired to router.

Software Version:  11.5.0 build 4235-46

TV: Vizio E70-F3