Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

Since the 11.0 update, after a long pause, maybe 10 minutes, the audio is gone and the only solution is a reboot. While there is the normal beboop Roku makes when you go home etc, there is no audio playing on any app with any program.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaybfl
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

I have not had the issue happen for 2 months now since I made the setting changes I previously posted. I will post what I did again in case anyone wants to give it a try. I went into the Roku audio settings and changed the streaming audio format to Dolby. Then, I changed the digital output format to passthrough. I can leave YouTube TV paused for hours and do not have any sound issues when I continue watching TV. 

View solution in original post

105 REPLIES 105
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JohnCap523

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue? 

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

When I am watching anything particularly on YouTube TV and I get distracted and pause for an extended period, the audio doesn’t come back when I return to playing. (I guess this is a good time to mention that there’s another very annoying issue: if you pause long enough for the screensaver to start, when you hit play, it blows you out of what you’re watching and opens a random (best I can tell) app, including on a couple occasions apps that hadn’t been installed. The way to avoid this is press forward instead of play, but play is the natural choice so it happens fairly often.)

So when the show plays with no audio, I’ve not found a way to get the audio back short of restarting the Roku. I haven’t tested this on another Roku but it does it every time on my 2020 Ultra. And I’m pretty sure, but not certain, it only has done this since the 11.x update.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JohnCap523

Thanks for the post.

When your Roku device is displaying a screensaver, it's best not to wake up the device by not pressing the Play or OK button on your remote.

If you are unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing with sound playback, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What does this mean: "When your Roku device is displaying a screensaver, it's best not to wake up the device by not pressing the Play or OK button on your remote." Leave the screensaver up and go get a drink?

I already sent you all of my info above.

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Funny how you keep asking for info but we never ever get any answers from Roku. EVER.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JohnCap523 wrote:

What does this mean: "When your Roku device is displaying a screensaver, it's best not to wake up the device by not pressing the Play or OK button on your remote."

A few of the Roku screensavers advertise other channels/apps with little banners that float by.  You'll see a little badge on the ad with the Play/Pause graphic implying if you press Play/Pause you want to get the advertised channel/app.  The OK button may do it as well.  It's a horrible choice, but intentional.  Maybe Roku gets revenue per click or something.  I believe there's also a bug where even if the screensaver isn't showing (the screen is blank or displaying the raining logos) the Play/Pause button will take you to an advertised channel.  As was said, get in the habit of never pressing Play/Pause or OK if your screen isn't currently displaying a video or use a screensaver that doesn't advertise.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Are you serious? I think I know the difference between trying to go back to what I'm watching and the screensaver, and whatever you're referring to.

This is like herding cats and the cats never end up in the carrier. This never gets fixed and we never get answers.

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'll humor you. How do you propose I get what I'm watching to start again if you're saying to not press play? (Well, I know what happens when I press play, and I have to press forward which is WHY I'M pissed off! It's idiotic!)

Animull
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.....

Pause the tv for 5-10minutes and the AUDIO STOPS WORKING... NEED TO UNPLUG RUKO POWER CORD for few minutes and restart it... THIS IS BS...