Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FAS
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 10.5] HDCP Error - need assistance

Jump to solution

That makes sense to me. So, turning off power saver is probably not an option for the Express or older.

As noted, I only have a problem with the Express. Other things I have tried with that player include: power cycling, reducing the screen resolution to 720p, a new HMDI cable and inserting a splitter between the Roku and the TV.

Most of our watching is either NetFlix or PBS. No problem with streaming PBS, just some items on NetFlix.

I am tempted to conclude that the different TV's may be the problem (and it would be a major inconvenience to swap them as a test).

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Re: Regarding the HDCP Error Detected Message

Jump to solution

How do you "go back to Firmware 10.5"? On my Express I see only an update search, which looks for and provides the latest version. I have version 11.0.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Re: HDCP Error Detected (Error 020)

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if the Roku Streaming Stick solves the HDCP error problem if replacing a Roku Express and used with a TV limited to 1080p? My TV is not 4K and I don't have an Ultra.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Regarding the HDCP Error Detected Message

Jump to solution

@FAS wrote:

How do you "go back to Firmware 10.5"? 

It's only available in a hidden, unsupported menu. Even then, it's not always possible to revert to an older version. And if you leave your Roku connected to the Internet, it's going to reapply 11.0 fairly quickly. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@FAS - the Streaming Stick also has the HDCP problem but only when power saver mode is enabled. With power saver disabled, there’s no HDCP errors.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is it possible to disable the power saver only when using the streaming stick? I don't know what the power saved is, but my installation is on a boat with battery power via an inverter. I need to save power wherever I can.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@FAS wrote:

Is it possible to disable the power saver only when using the streaming stick? I don't know what the power saved is, but my installation is on a boat with battery power via an inverter. I need to save power wherever I can.

I would expect the newer models of the Stick to have that menu option, but I really doubt it would make a noticeable impact on your energy use. Even with Power Saver enabled, the device is still on. It will still use power, perhaps half of what it uses when in use. But even then you're talking very little power. When something is powered at 5VDC and requires less than an amp to run, You would have to have it in low power mode for days, if not weeks, to have a significant amount of power use difference. If you're away from your Roku for longer periods of time, it's more logical to completely disconnect the power from the device. If you're attempting to limit the power used, but still use the device on a daily basis, the amount of power saved is miniscule. In your case, I would suggest just unplugging it when not in use.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Pipino22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku device model 3930x

SN.5009319NMU57

0 Kudos
XITPro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Pipino22,

Like you I'm a user, and in my limited experience with Roku, this issue seems to occur more often during the switch from regular programming to a commercial and then back again. That, in my opinion is a software issue. In my vast computer experience I have rarely seen cables go bad. That usually only happens with numerous disconnect/connects, so don't waste your money on a new cable.

1. You can follow the instruction on the screen for a reset, but you may find that is only a temporary fix, and may have to do it multiple times during the same show. At least that has been my experience.

2. Another user suggests “disabling power save mode” in settings.

3. What works for me is when I'm done watching TV I turn off the TV to also kill the power on my Roku, then when I turn on my TV again, Roku will reboot. That allows me to watch for hours with no issue. But if I only turn off the TV and then come back hours later to watch TV the HDCP Error pops up again.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
FAS
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Based on ideas from this thread, I have done the following which solved the problem for me:

• Using Roku Streaming Stick rather than Roku Express
  • Turn off power saver
  • Power via USB from the TV rather than from a receptacle
0 Kudos