Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelpfulDad
Binge Watcher

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS)

Jump to solution

I wasted weeks with support a year ago when a so-called “upgrade” suddenly prevented Disney+ from playing 4k content on my 4k TV because Roku OS inaccurately reports TV capabilities to the app.  And also weeks with so called “support” trying to get excellent Internet results from a wired link to a modem that shows ping of 6 and 940 Mbps with any other device.

Roku is third tier and I’m being helpful to everyone so they don’t waste any time trying to fix this substandard device and certainly not to buy another. 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS)

Jump to solution

@HelpfulDad wrote:

I wasted weeks with support a year ago when a so-called “upgrade” suddenly prevented Disney+ from playing 4k content on my 4k TV because Roku OS inaccurately reports TV capabilities to the app.  And also weeks with so called “support” trying to get excellent Internet results from a wired link to a modem that shows ping of 6 and 940 Mbps with any other device.

Roku is third tier and I’m being helpful to everyone so they don’t waste any time trying to fix this substandard device and certainly not to buy another. 

I seriously think you’re making that so-called “Roku OS inaccurately reports TV capabilities to an app” statement up, as none of the sources based on Roku devices state this.  In fact, you may need to check the display resolution settings on your Roku device.  ~ Jordan 

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS) Through ARC

Jump to solution

So I got the 4640.  I have Dolby digital but only the front right and left speakers are lighting up on my receiver. 

0 Kudos
nhadfield
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Got it working

0 Kudos
ToolmanJoe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there a solution to this?  I battle with the Roku regularly.  It seems to randomly revert to PCM 2.0 channels.  I have to go to audio and toggle between auto and custom, DTS, DD+, etc.  Eventually, I usually get it working then it randomly goes back to 2.0.  It's very frustrating.  If I stream through my Samsung TV or Sony Bluray player, I have no problem getting DD+ 5.1 pr Atmos but the Roku rarely decodes the audio properly.  Any advice?  I'm using a Roku Premier 4K player and an Onkyo NR-777 receiver.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ToolmanJoe my recommendation is to connect the Roku directly to the Onkyo and not rely on ARC sending the audio back to the AVR. There's no good reason to connect devices directly to the TV when you have a capable AVR for handling the sound and HDMI switching. My Ultra players are connected directly to my AVRs and I never have audio issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ToolmanJoe
Reel Rookie

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS) from Roku Premier

Jump to solution

I should have changed the subject.  My Roku is connected directly to the Onkyo Receiver.  The TV doesn't do any switching.  The problem is the Roku randomly stops outputting DD+ and reverts to 2.0.  I'm not sure why.  I got it working again by changing output to stereo, then back to custom, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus.  Sometimes I have to toggle it 3 or 4 times before it works though.  It's rather frustrating.  I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad Roku Box. 

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Dolby Digital (or DTS) from Roku Premiere

Jump to solution

I haven't seen that happen, but my Premiere is connected directly to a TV so nothing more than stereo needed. I haven't had any issue with my two Ultra players that are connected to AVRs. They both output 5.1 (or 5.1.2 Atmos on one of them) without any issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos