Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

Re: My Roku Ultra refuse to play the audio of some MKV video files

like I mentioned if I put them on the USB stick and play them via Roku Ultra the play without any problem, all these files were converted by Handbreake.

I just cannot figure this out.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

OK, if they're playing from a USB stick, how are you trying to play them when you get the error message? What channel are you using, and how is the media getting to the Roku?

I'd still like to know the codecs in use. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

Well, I don’t know too much about it, but I set the directory that has all the videos to a sharing, and I selected as my media library I fallow what the Roku suggested.

The Roku Ultra dose see the files and the directory via the Roku media player because all are on the same network.

About the codec I need to send you the file and you can tell me, but I don’t know how to attach the file and is typical movie file.

Kosta

0 Kudos
atc98092

No, don't attach a movie file. I'm certain it's far too large to be accepted anyway. 

OK, I think I understand. It sounds like you are using Windows Media Player as your library to stream to the Roku. That is your likely problem. You are using DLNA to stream from the computer to the Roku. The Windows WMP built-in DLNA server is terrible, and it's obviously doing something incorrect to the file when it's streaming to your player. It really does a really bad job of it. 

Roku Media Player (the channel you are using for playing from the USB port as well as from your computer) will work with any DLNA server. There are a number of much better server products available, most for free. I prefer Serviio, and am the author of the Roku profiles that come with Serviio. I'm also a moderator on the Serviio user forum, so can provide a lot of assistance with it.

If you'd like something that looks a little more like the Netflix or Prime Video channels, Plex and Emby offer free server software for your computer and dedicated channels for Roku devices. Any of them would provide you with a much better experience than using the Windows DLNA server.

Dan

0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

I am for it but remember I am very novice don’t know too much about it, but I am willing to learn.

Let’s go tell me what to do please.

Kosta

0 Kudos
atc98092

I suggest starting with Plex. It's simpler to use and works well with Roku devices. Go to plex.tv and download the install program for your operating system (Windows I assume). You need to create a user account, but it's free to do. You don't need to pay for a Plex Pass account, unless the features it offers seem valuable to you.

Install Plex on your Windows computer, and the Plex channel on your Roku. You configure Plex using a web browser. There are plenty of tutorials on the Plex site to guide you on configuration. Mainly you just need to point Plex to your media folders.

If you don't want to create a Plex user account, you can use Serviio, completely free and no registration required for anything other than the user forum if desired. It's a bit more complicated to initially set up, but you generally don't need to do anything after it's configured. You use Roku Media Player to access it, same as you do now to access your Windows computer.

Dan

0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

I did and look’s like it’s working I am going to do some more test and let’s you know.

thank you

Kosta

0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

It works tank you,

Kosta

what do I do click 

kudos or thump up 

let me know

0 Kudos
atc98092

You're not the creator of this thread, so you can't accept anything as a "solution". Best you can do is give kudos to any of the posts that helped you resolve your issue. 

Glad it's working for you! 😄

Dan

0 Kudos