Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Max App pause and playback issue

@mebmike wrote:

Tried watching Max on my computer browser and my iPad with Max app both played fine with no issues,  started having problems with the app on my Roku unit yesterday October 5th 2023. Would appreciate any help or reason for this problem.

It makes no difference if the app works properly on a different device. While the app may look and operate in an identical manner, they are completely different software apps written in different programming languages. So unfortunately the fact it works on an iOS device or a PC has no bearing on the problem on the Roku platform. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

I'm sorry you're having this issue @mebmike.

Roku just had a major OS update from 12 to 12.5, and Max just added their B-R Sports Hub along with their News live beta hub. The streaming sports service will go live with a sneak peek tomorrow, and then the live streaming part of the service will go behind a paywall at a later date, so with all these changes, there are bound to be issues on some Rokus.

It sounds like you tried everything, so you'll just have to wait for a Max update to fix your problem. If it's not fixed by the next day, you should again do what you've done every day you have this issue after manually updating Max since an update might have happened, but your Roku's cache didn't clear (which is why you're told to do all the things you've done), but this won't work until Max fixes the issue on their end. When you repeat these steps, I don't think you have to go so far as to reboot your WiFi router and reinstall a network pathway since your other devices are working fine on your network.

What appears to have happened to all of us was that there was a faulty update that only went on Rokus that happened to receive that update during that time, while other Rokus updated later when Max corrected this, and so they didn't get these issues. However, the Roku's that received the faulty update were still having problems regardless of the newer updates until Max finally resolved this with us. This newer issue may have recently happened to you in which your Roku unfortunately received a faulty update with Max, and you just have to be patient and use redundant streamers such as your IPad and computer browser until this is fixed. I wouldn't suggest purchasing a different type of non-Roku streaming device due to this issue because it appears that the prior faulty update had corrupted various other non-Roku devices as well until Max resolved that. Once everything settles, Max will resolve this, and hopefully, no more faulty updates will occur with Max on various streaming devices. 

0 Kudos
juggaletteTech
Reel Rookie

I’ve just noticed this start happening these past few weeks but I had no issues beforehand. I’m wondering if you (or anyone) opted into a discounted deal (like $21 total for 6 months) because that’s what I did and that’s all I can think of since it’s been nearly a year since your issue occurred. 

0 Kudos
BrainBlast
Reel Rookie

My issue was resolved after Max had a major update that included the NewsMax and sports streaming. Unfortunate that this extremely frustrating bug lingered for 6 months before fixing it, but I guess HBO isn't concerned about their user experience.

Sorry that it's happening to you now. It has been working fine for me this past week. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue again 😠

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Honestly, a lot of folks need to learn that streaming technology, in particular the programming aspects of it, is still in its infancy. A mere 25 years or so (roughly), videos began showing up online. They were all extremely short, very low resolution, and almost none played smoothly. And forget about even being able to scroll through any of them. Most would just freeze up and often the page on which it was loaded would just loose its connection entirely. 

Fast forward to today. There are many issues that persist simply because there are far more device brands and types with unique hardware configurations, each of which needs its own specific sets of code. So many different programs being necessary for you to watch what you want, when you want, on whatever you want takes hundreds of thousands of coding hours. 

One small issue such as not being able to fast forward or rewind, or having the app "remember" where you were last in your programs, is probably NOT as high on the priority list as, say, "Will it even work on an iPad? An iPhone? A Samsung Galaxy? A Chromebook? Windows? Mac? etc. And don't forget to include every relevant and supported OS that exists on every device. Get the picture yet?

The bottom line is this. Very few consumers are fully aware of what their particular set up (device and OS) requires in human work hours just to get an app working on that device at all, even with some bugs and oversights, much less how many work hours it takes to get it working on every other device and OS out there. 

The point is, to call a glitch like this occurring for six months, or even a year for that matter, a sign that the company doesn't care or listen to its customers, is just a sign that customers in general simply do not fully understand what it takes to get what you already have, bugs, oversights and all, into your hands and/or living rooms. 

People need patience. And there's not enough of that in this world these days. Give it time for goodness sake! Sure, go ahead and put the complaint out there, but for gosh sakes, give the people who make this cool technology in your hands (without whom you wouldn't have ANY of it) a freaking break! They can't respond to every single little thing all at once! 

I had the same issue with Max months ago, but I knew because it was being discussed, and that some were smart enough to go directly to Max with their complaints, that the people who could fix this were indeed listening and working on it, and that sooner or later it WOULD be fixed. And now, here we are. It's still not perfect but it's better than it was. 

To the programmers: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, AND MOST IMPORTANLY, YOUR TIME!

Everyone else: Develop a little patience and maybe stop assuming that just because your little complaint hasn't been fixed yet means the company doesn't care about you. It doesn't. "The company" doesn't fix the issues. The people who work for them do, and they do care.

Take a deep breath, smell something pleasing, open your window and listen to some birds, or the honking noisy traffic outside. Whatever it takes to relax. 

This too, shall pass. 😎

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
BrainBlast
Reel Rookie

Yikes...

No one is mad at the devs, its the company that is not hiring enough devs so they can't fix major issues like this because they're too busy. And the only way the company can be convinced to hire more devs is to see customers leave, and to read reviews of frustrated users in from forums like these. We are trying to help the problem. Don't take it so personally.

WolfMaMa
Reel Rookie

Exactly. His response is rude, condescending and very long winded. I guess he thinks we need to be schooled for our concerns. He seems to forget that this is not a free app, WE pay money for the service and  have every right to expect issues to be resolved in a timely manner. The company makes a lot of money, it's not some small business that is just getting started. They could hire more devs but choose not to. But how dare we speak up about it. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@WolfMaMa wrote:

Exactly. He comes across as being defensive, and appears to forget that this is not a free app, WE pay money for it and have every right to expect issues to be resolved in a timely manner. 

If you are talking about the topic of this thread (MAX) then your ire is misdirected. HBO has sole control over the functionality of the app on all platforms, including Roku. Only HBO can resolve problems with their app. Roku has no power over HBO to do anything as long as they are complying with the Roku terms of service for providers. And it doesn't matter if the app works fine on other platforms, since Roku devices are programmed in a language completely different than any other platform. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

@WolfMaMa (mistagged the first reply ~ sorry)

there is nothing rude in my post. Nor is it condescending. It's just the truth. No one forced you to read it.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
juggaletteTech
Reel Rookie

I’m not about to adopt a victimized persona but I did just put this out here on this platform AS WELL AS CONTACTING THE MAX PLATFORM, WELL BEFORE you people mounted up on your high horses and tried to kick me in the teeth. 

I appreciate coders and yes, to the d-bag with the self-aggrandizing blowhard, I understand the complexities as well as all those that go into every other single freaking way you try to exist - tell me, did you grow your own coffee beans? Then ground them? Then brew them with boiling water over a stove? No? I didn’t think so. …I so wish I had a joust or saw you in person.

Moving on.

I appreciate everyone else who has also said that they’ve had similar problems because I thought something was wrong with my system or my internet, so I appreciate you replying, at least I can rule out paranoia. 

Hopefully things get fixed (because I didn’t see any changes with the addition of the CNN-beta feature). 

Thank you all for your help and I’ll let you know if things improve, or if I need to virtually throat punch someone…

XOXO

- Kelly