Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ET_phonehome
Reel Rookie

Major audio issues with roku ultra

This has been going on for many months.  I've seen threads on reddit about it, and also here.  At first I thought it was Sling, but I see it's happening with other services as well, so it must be Roku.  The audio will suddenly get very quiet or very loud, all on it's own.  On other occasions, there will be loud screeches, beeps and pops coming from my speakers.  Has anyone found a fix for this?

15 REPLIES 15
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Major audio issues with roku ultra

Hi @ET_phonehome

Welcome to the Roku Community!

If you are experiencing audio issues with your Roku Ultra across all channels, here are a few things you can try:

• Check Audio Settings: Check the audio settings on your Roku Ultra to make sure they are set up correctly. You can do this by going to Settings > Audio. Ensure that the audio output is set to your desired device (TV, soundbar, etc.), and that the audio mode is set to "Auto" or the recommended audio format for your setup.
  • Check Device Connection: If you are using an external audio device, such as a soundbar or receiver, make sure it is properly connected to your Roku Ultra. Check all cables and ensure they are securely plugged in. Try swapping out cables or testing with another audio device to isolate the issue.
  • Restart Roku Ultra: Restarting your Roku Ultra may resolve any audio issues you are experiencing. You can do this by going to Settings > System > System Restart.
  • Check Channel-Specific Audio Settings: Some channels may have their own audio settings that could be affecting the audio output on your Roku Ultra. Check the audio settings within each channel to ensure they are configured correctly.
  • Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your Roku Ultra is running the latest software updates. You can check for updates by going to Settings > System > System update.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
ET_phonehome
Reel Rookie

Thanks, but this is a known thing that's been ongoing for many months.  This is one thread about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/zj43pz/high_pitched_chirpscreech_sound_when_using_any/

Something must've changed with the Roku device at some point because I never had this problem before.  Changing the various audio settings did not help.

Anyway, I just ended up getting an Apple TV, so it won't matter to me anymore, but hopefully you guys can sort this out.  Earlier today, the sound got very loud, and distorted my speakers (when using the Roku).  Not good.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@ET_phonehome

Thanks for the response. 

We apologize to hear about your experience. We strive to provide the best experience possible and are always working to improve our products and services. Please know that we'll share your feedback with the team for review. 

Let us know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Regards,
Nimfa

KCofIndy
Reel Rookie

I too have contacted Roku about this and nothing. They have no clue why/what is happening. It started in the fall 2022. I see a lot of people complaining about this. We spent too much money on an inferior product. Time for Roku to pony up and fix it or start issuing refunds

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @KCofIndy

Thanks for getting in contact. 

We apologize to hear about your experience. We are more than happy to look into this further but we need additional information. Could you walk us through the issue you are seeing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ET_phonehome
Reel Rookie

TBH, I wouldn't bother waiting for a solution.  This has been ongoing for many months.  At one point, it sounded like my speakers blew because the sound suddenly became distorted.  I just got an AppleTV 4K box, and things work normally again.  It's a shame because I did like the Roku a lot, but I can't keep waiting for a fix.  It worked fine when I got it several years ago, so one of the updates must've broken something.

lreisinger

After about three perfect years of use, My Roku Ultra has developed the same audio issues.  Usually audio becomes loud and distorted but sometimes it is low volume.  My fix is to swap channels...go to another channel on You Tube TV and come back.  This always works until the next time.  I decided to replace the Ultra with a reconditioned one I found on Amazon.  We'll see how this works out.

[personal information removed]

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @lreisinger

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing audio issues with your Roku Ultra. We understand how frustrating this can be, especially after years of reliable use.

While replacing the device may be another option, we recommend that you let us know if you continue to experience the same problem with the new Roku Ultra. We can help you troubleshoot the issue with you and help find a solution.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
paulj

all channels through Roku with either become distorted or suddenly switch to low volume. I have tried EVERY thing suggest by ROKU and all of my Apps on Roku and STILL this is not resolved. This does NOT happen while watching programs with other inputs on my TV.