Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinaz
Binge Watcher

Re: MPEG2 freezing with Roku Media Player

I am also creating MPEG2+AC3 MKV files using MakeMKV, the same as @atc98092 

The new, dumbed-down colorful blocks user interface was when the problems started.  The earlier software with a list of media (instead of icons) worked fine (and continues to work on my ~7 year old TCL Roku TV that has the older UI).  You could blame the type of DLNA server, but it worked (and continues to work) with the older Roku Media Player.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@pinaz wrote:

It would be absurd to transcode or convert the files when Roku natively supports MPEG2. I have other Roku devices that play these files without issue, and so did this device until the software regressed.

It depends on the container, since MPEG-2 video could also be in an AVI or MPG container, neither of which are supported by Roku. But since you can play them on other Roku devices, that seems to eliminate that as a possible problem. Unless your DLNA server is transcoding for some devices or not others. I don't know what you're using for a DLNA server, so I can't guess what it's doing. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@pinaz wrote:

I am also creating MPEG2+AC3 MKV files using MakeMKV, the same as @atc98092 

The new, dumbed-down colorful blocks user interface was when the problems started.  The earlier software with a list of media (instead of icons) worked fine (and continues to work on my ~7 year old TCL Roku TV that has the older UI).  

You have the same version of RMP on every device. The difference between list and block is a user choice, so your apps are configured differently on your devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
pinaz
Binge Watcher

MakeMKV MKV MPEG2+AC3 streamed from Synology; I said Synology DLNA in the original post.
0 Kudos
pinaz
Binge Watcher

You are mistaken.  Different Roku devices can have different RMP versions.

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

If you have a computer that can be dedicated for this purpose, Handbrake (at least for me) has solved all sorts of playback issues including but not limited to, audio out of sync, jerky audio, playing stopping and starting repeatedly (often repeating short sections), and other similar issues.

Regardless of the original file type, I simply convert them ALL to MP4, and force the audio sample rate to 44.1 (NOT automatic).

I don't have an explanation for why this works but so far it has with literally hundreds of files, without fail (other than certain files that were corrupt to begin with). 

44.1 is the recording industry's standard sample rate. Few amateurs are aware of this and files that aren't set up with this sample rate often don't play correctly. 

I do all my conversions right on my DNLA server, which is a 15 year old iMac running High Sierra. I've never had an issue running many hours of conversion and streaming from the same computer at the same time.

(If you want your server accessible over the internet check the Handbrake box for web optimized.)

This method has served me well for many months and has fixed virtually every playback issue. Some files play fine as is on my ONN Roku TV but won't on my Roku Utra. This fixes those as well.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
atc98092

synology can run many different DLNA server applications, including Serviio. No, there’s only one version of RMP. 

Dan

0 Kudos
pinaz
Binge Watcher

Here's the GUI for a seven year old TCL Roku TV (the device that continues to play MakeMKV MPEG2+AC3 files correctly):

https://postimg.cc/bd6j21sH

https://postimg.cc/MvvJ0XBk

Note that the second image shows the menu displayed after the asterisk button is pressed on the remote.

Now, see how RMP looks on a 3960X - Roku Express (that used to play MakeMKV MPEG2+AC3 files correctly before the GUI was restyled, but now does not):

https://postimg.cc/1f2hvP08

https://postimg.cc/qNKfYYQj

Do you know why they look entirely different?  There are multiple versions of RMP.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Press the * button when you have the RMP tile selected. That will tell you the version number. If you have different versions on your TV, it must be because it's not getting updates from Roku. On every device I have, RMP has always had the same version number. That doesn't mean Roku can't make changes to the UI appearance via their middleware software, because they can. And if your TV is getting Roku updates, then you simply have a different UI pushed to the TV. Why, I have no idea. 

The original RMP developer (who retired years ago) told me that RMP is simply the UI, and that all player functionality is within the Roku OS itself. That too could explain a different UI on different devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
pinaz
Binge Watcher

Same "5.5 Build 13", but apart from the appearance of the icon on the home screen and the splash screen, they look and behave completely differently (as the photos that I provided show).

Before the recent UI changes, RMP on the 3960X Roku Express looked and behaved the same as RMP on TCL 49S405 Roku TV. After the change, RMP no longer plays MakeMKV MPEG2+AC3 on the 3960X Roku Express, but continues to do so on a TCL 49S405 Roku TV.

0 Kudos