Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
citizen
Binge Watcher

Insufficient power error cannot be fixed

Hello,

Using a Roku Express:

- plugged into USB power at the wall *not via a TV or other device*.

-connected to Ethernet.

I get an error along the lines of those in other posts stating there is not enough power. I have been through all of the suggested fixes without success. The only thing that seems to temporarily resolve it is unplugging and allowing to cool down for a while. I believe it may be down to a product design fault which causes overheating through a lack of space around the electronics to enable air to circulate.

I suppose I could put it in a larger case with a fan, but I'd rather not...

Since Roku do not appear to be interested in supporting the express, here I am!

Any insight much appreciated,

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Insufficient power error cannot be fixed

I think the Express uses a standard USB supply. Any USB charger rated at 1A or more will work. Do you have any phone chargers sitting around?

0 Kudos
citizen
Binge Watcher

Thanks @andyross,

The Express is  already plugged into the wall via a USB adaptor. Are you suggesting I should try a different one?

It's been working fine for years with that adaptor, the problem is recent and intermittent hence why I think it may be related to overheating.

Further thoughts appreciated.

Best

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

It's possible that adapter is going bad.

0 Kudos
citizen
Binge Watcher

Thanks.

I will look into that.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.