Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rokszurk
Channel Surfer

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

I don't know where the idea of a heater duct blowing air at our Roku Premiere comes from. I mentioned a central heating radiator - that is, the metal block with pipes in it through which the hot water of the central heating system flows, with the heat rising from it to spread in the room concerned - that is under the window some distance from the TV shelf on which the Roku box rests. Nor is there heat "blowing" from the gas fire, enclosed as I mentioned - that is, is sealed behind glass which is flush with the fireplace panel under the mantelpiece and again some distance, and that diagonally, from the device . All told, we're talking about a Roku Premiere on a TV shelf in a room where the temperature, even with the heat on, is never above 21C, and overheating, like other Roku boxes mentioned here I see. In other words, sheer bad design.

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@rokszurk  Good morning. I scrolled through your comments. I see where you mentioned about a heater and a fireplace. Warm air rises are we all know. Your central air heater is 1.5m (4ft) from your Roku. Your fireplace is 1m (3ft) from your Roku. A gas fireplace is a source of heat even if it’s behind glass doors. If it wasn’t a source for heat then what would be the purpose of it using it? With that being said your Roku has been exposed to some heat sources in close proximity to your Roku. Those “could” contribute to the premature failure of your Roku. Especially during the winter months. But you got 2 years out of it. So that isn’t too bad for an inexpensive streaming device. Should it not be overheating? No it shouldn’t be. But if it failed within the first 6 months I could understand it being defective. Have you tried filling a warranty claim? Worth a shot 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rokszurk 

Dellstreamer, Z06, and BillieAnnie are all the same user so you can choose to reply to this individual who is now pretending to be brand new or choose to his ignore his comments as he will again be shortly removed from the Community.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

rokszurk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for putting me in the picture about this, and thanks again for your advice the other day.

0 Kudos
Topdog57

Jump to solution

My Roku worked fine for almost a year.  Now I am seeing messages on the TV informing the Roku is overheating.  My device has always been connected with an HDMI cable (about 12" long)  It is away from the TV and any other electronic device outputting heat.  It is NOT inside a cabinet or other closed space.  It is NOT On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers - it is sitting on the wooden TV table.  It is NOT In direct sunlight (happened last evening at 9:30 PM - no sunlight).

I think this is a product design defect.  I was able to use the device for extended periods in the past without any issues.  The over heating issue is happing more frequently now.  Maybe it is time to buy an Amazon Firestick instead!

0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ROKU devices aren't the only ones susceptible to overheating. 

Some Chromecast and Firesticks devices have overheating problems as well.

Search on "How to Fix Overheating Firestick and Make It Faster."

"Fixing chromecast overheating issues"

0 Kudos
rokszurk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The positioning of our Roku is in line with all the advice on how to avoid overheating, and still overheats from time to time. It’s bad design, full stop, nor is it any consolation to hear that some other such devices have the same design fault. Can’t be rocket science to design it out. 

0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree that it is a design issue and in January 6th of this year, in the thread titled, "Re: Stick keeps over heating," I described the nature of the design defect.

"The gob of heat transfer putty inside has migrated inside the device and no longer making good contact with the heat/RF shield inside the case. Yes, I disassembled the device. This is a design issue, IMO.

In comparison, a brand new 3820R, operates at 64 - 66C. I won't be surprised if the same issue appears in a year or 2 of operation, since the heat dissipation is engineered the same in the 3820R as in the 3810X.

You can pass that along to the engineering team."

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Topdog57,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.
For more information visit our Support page here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message | Official Roku ...
If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stuardo1000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried ordering a "free" extender because my streaming stick is giving me the overheating message on the screen. I tried several times to order the extender but keep getting the message that "we cannot help you at the time. Please try again later." What great scheme you guys have for pretending to help people and then blowing them off. Clever but I won't but aby more Roku devices. Amazon here I come. 

I thought you were deceit but now I see you blow smoke when someone really tries to get help!!!!

Stuart Baker

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos