Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Stick keeps over heating

Jump to solution

@Sahldn

Thanks for the inquiry.

What Roku model device are you using?

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning

Keep us posted if there are any other questions we can help answer!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It seems like this is a major problem with Roku. I have two different types and both ar doing it.  One does not plug into the hdmi and it’s overheating 

0 Kudos
Jackk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Do you also use the wall plug and NOT the USB power ? 

I had to do BOTH, use wall plug and use the short jumper to HDMI.

0 Kudos
DianeM52

Re: Overheating

Jump to solution

Thank you for the tip on the overheating issue. Although I cannot reach the back of my TV to unplug my Roku device, I just went back to "Live" TV/Cable and shut everything off for about an hour. Now, it is working fine.

#Roku, #overheating

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Mine kept getting really warm and stop working didn’t always say hot. I got the free pig tail and it still didn’t fix the problem. It doesn’t say overheating on screen but it’s real hot when I feel it. I unplug it. Put in freezer for a while. Plug it back in and it works. Can’t understand how Roku got popular. Thinking about getting fire stick

0 Kudos
Jackk
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you are using the ROKU streaming stick+, Fire Stick is NOT an upgrade. Try also using the wall plug instead of the USB for power on the ROKU. 

0 Kudos
Bigdtown23
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

hi. one of my roku sticks was overheating and i requested and received the free HDMI extender. worked well for a while, but it's overheating again. It's not enclosed or super close to the wall or anything like that. i've read help forums on the issue, but didn't see anything that went beyond the HDMI extender as the solution. My question is, is there anything else that can be done after i already connected the HDMI extender and it's still overheating? thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bigdtown23

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass along your information to our Support team who can assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TustinGuy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there a heatsink attachment to the stick that we could use to give the device more surface area to cool down?  (I know it defeats the stick purpose, but it's behind the TV and hidden.  I'm thinking something made of metal that is attached around the stick.  I'm even thinking of using a thick roll of aluminum foil that I would rap around the stick. but would stick out a bit (like a wing) to help push the heat out?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TustinGuy

Thanks for the post.

For Roku Streaming Stick or Roku Streaming Stick+, you can try installing an HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV. You can get it here for free: Free HDMI extender

For other suggested troubleshooting steps in line with overheating, check out this Support link: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I hope this answers your question.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos