Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to fix 'insufficient power' or 'low power' warning

Jump to solution

@Tashaunag23 if you're seeing a low power warning on a Roku TV, the TV is likely defective. You would need to contact the company that makes your TV. Roku does not build TVs.

@tktnrs Roku does not offer telephone support. You need to provide the model number of your Roku. Just saying "device" doesn't mean anything. Different Roku players have different power requirements. When you plug it into the wall, as you using the power cube that came with the Roku, or just one you had available? It's possible the wall cube isn't providing enough power. Some USB wall cubes don't even provide the minimum required 500 mA, and I believe a Roku player needs more than that as well.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dprankster

Jump to solution

I have the same issue but I'm using the USB it came with and it's plugged into the wall outlet. 

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Dprankster

Thanks for the post.

If you have tried all the suggestions in this Support link: What to do if the red light is flashing, or you see a "low-power" warning, and you're still experiencing the issue, please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device. This can be found in the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About or at the back of the player itself.

We'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SAA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having a similar problem as I’ve seen on here.   My Roku device Streaming Stick 4K stopped working (low power) when plugged in to the TV’s USB port.  I have tried all three USB ports and same thing.  It is not clear why this just started after working fine for almost a year.  It is not the USB ports but rather something specific to the Roku Stick.  I can get it to work if I plug it in directly to the charger but that is not very convenient and now need to have cords hanging off the tv.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@SAA it’s possible your TV received a firmware update that changed the power output of your USB ports. The USB 2.0 standard only requires 500 mA, which simply isn’t enough to power a Roku Stick. For TVs that exceed the standard, the Roku may work just fine. Unfortunately a TV USB port is not a practical source of power for many devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
SAA
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The tv hasn’t received a firmware update.  It seems strange to me that this issue just creeped up when its been working fine.  Seems like with 40 pages of questions around this topic it is more a Roku stick issue than a tv USB issue. I have 7 Rokus plugged in to TV USB’s, mainly Sony’s and the others dont have this issue.  I also would think that a tv USB is one of the most convenient ways to use a stick and Roku would figure a way to have their sticks broadly compatible with the power from a USB.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Unless your TV isn’t network connected (certainly possible) you might not be aware of it receiving an update. As to the Stick, it’s not a given that it won’t work on a TV’s USB port. Mine works fine, including in the hotel I’m currently staying in. I have other issues here in the hotel, but it’s TV related, not the Roku.

Dan

0 Kudos
April61

Jump to solution

I have Roku tv and it says this what to do to fix it 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @April61

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We suggest you try performing a factory reset on your Roku TV and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

You can also try using the physical button to reset your TV. Check out this support link for instructions: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tom2804

Jump to solution

This does not help me! I am plugged into the wall and it still happens. It is so frustrating!!!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.