Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChadleyHTX
Reel Rookie

Express-4 suddenly stopped working on older flat screen but works on newer tv

We have a Sony BRAVIA V-Series KDL-52V5100 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV, Black (2009 Model); using a Roku Express-4K.  Had no issues until suddenly tv says no signal. went through the standard troubleshooting steps: plugged in directly to the wall, both power and hdmi cord are secure on both ends, tried different hdmi ports, different hdmi cables, unplugged to reset...still says no signal. As soon as I plug/connect to a newer tv or monitor no issues whatsoever. Anyone have an idea? Do i need to go a little old school and try an hdmi to component cable? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Express-4 suddenly stopped working on older flat screen but works on newer tv

You would need a converter for HDMI to Component.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Express-4 suddenly stopped working on older flat screen but works on newer tv

Have you verified that the input on the Sony hasn't failed by connected some other device?  Admittedly, it seems unlikely that every input has failed.  Try taking the Express to the other TV and force the Display Type to 720p (take it off of Auto) and then take it back to the Sony to see see if you get a picture.  If it works, it would be better than component.

As I type this it occurs to me that the startup animation should at least show up, but it's still worth a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ChadleyHTX
Reel Rookie

thank you! bought one just in case...was however able to resolve 

0 Kudos
ChadleyHTX
Reel Rookie

thanks to both of y'all for replying...after researching more, it ended up being the tv itself and i did a reset of sorts for the tele...first i unplugged the hdmi cable from the back of the tv; then unplugged the roku. i then unplugged the tv itself and then held down the power button for 30 seconds.  Then reattached the roku, powered up the tele and it worked! back in action. 

0 Kudos