Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stanleybeagle
Reel Rookie

Did all the basic stuff My streaming stick will boot up and then after a few minutes stop working.

Jump to solution

I did all of the basic stuff recommended. Unplugged for 15 minutes. Made sure the device is in a well ventilated area. Checked all of the cables and power source.  Hit the reset button on the device.  Removed the USB extension to see if that was the problem. Attached to multiple TVs. Tried different HDMI inputs on the TV.  Factory reset the TV.

In the middle of doing a factory reset it stopped working. 

Not sure what to do next. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Did all the basic stuff My streaming stick will boot up and then after a few minutes stop wor...

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Sapphyre204!

It is highly appreciated that you've brought this to our attention and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. No worries! We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

In this case, it is strongly advised that you connect your Roku streaming stick to both an HDMI port and a power source for effective use. As for the remote, after changing it to a fresh new set of batteries, kindly try to press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset it. After doing so, try to re-pair it again to see if this will make any difference. 

Please let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Stanleybeagle
Reel Rookie

My streaming stick will boot up and then after a few minutes stop working.

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick will boot up. After a few seconds will go blank and the reboot again. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Did all the basic stuff My streaming stick will boot up and then after a few minutes stop wor...

Jump to solution

Hi @Stanleybeagle,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your streaming issues on your Roku device that keeps rebooting. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

For us to better understand the issue that you are experiencing, kindly provide us with additional information:

• When did the issue occur?
  • Which Roku device are you having this issue with?
  • What software version is your Roku device currently in? (Check on Settings > System > About.)
  • Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify)
  • Can you send us a photo of the running issue and specify where it leads you when it reboots as our reference?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Stanleybeagle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry it’s been a while. Bern out of town.  

• When did the issue occur?  About a month ago
  • Which Roku device are you having this issue with? Model 3810x. SN 2130D6851051
  • What software version is your Roku device currently in? (Check on Settings > System > About.). 12.5,5
  • Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify). It’s in the boot up. No specific channels 
  • Can you send us a photo of the running issue and specify where it leads you when it reboots as our reference?  Nothing to show but a screen, then blank. 
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Stanleybeagle,

Hope you enjoy your recent vacation! I'd like to know how are you powering this device, if it is connected directly to a wall outlet or to the USB TV port.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Don’t all Roku sticks need to be powered via USB? Whether what it’s connected to is in a wall or a power strip doesn’t matter. You can’t power a USB just simply through the television. Because HDMI is not a power source for charging

The reason I am chiming in is because last night my husband went to go use the television in the bedroom which does not get used very often and it’s the only device in this house that’s powered by a Roku stick and it was doing the same thing as the person who started this thread. It’ll work for a couple minutes then it doesn’t do anything - the remote doesn’t work, changed the batteries to brand new batteries and it still doesn’t work.  we would unplug where the USB cord for the extended Wi-Fi that was attached to the stick then it would load and five minutes later… frozen. 
did a reset, would work for 3-5 minutes then do the same thing. I have no other devices or televisions to attach it to because I have a Roku TV in my office next to the bedroom, then the Roku sound bar in the living room, and then downstairs, (which is the opposite end of where the bedroom is, so don’t say it’s a weird connection thing because it’s not), we have a Fire TV. 
This is definitely something to do with the stick itself. Has there been an update recently and now everything is all messed up? Because it used to work before but like I said, we haven’t touched the TV in the bedroom for at least six months if not longer. but the TV is always plugged in and there’s always power going to the stick as well. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Sapphyre204!

It is highly appreciated that you've brought this to our attention and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. No worries! We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

In this case, it is strongly advised that you connect your Roku streaming stick to both an HDMI port and a power source for effective use. As for the remote, after changing it to a fresh new set of batteries, kindly try to press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 30 seconds to reset it. After doing so, try to re-pair it again to see if this will make any difference. 

Please let us know how it goes and we'll continue assisting you from there. Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.