Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dee26

Closed caption not working

I have closed captioning on and I will start an app (any streaming app, doesnt matter) and the closed captioning will come on for a minute, maybe 2 and then turn off on its on. I have to exit and go back into settings (where it still says its on) and toggle it off and on again. Then it works for another minute or two and turns off on its own again

11 REPLIES 11
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed caption not working

Hi @Dee26

Thank you for the post!

It sounds like you are experiencing an issue with closed captioning on your Roku device. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to fix the issue:

• Check for system updates: Make sure that your Roku device is up-to-date with the latest system software. To check for updates, go to Settings > System > System update on your Roku device.
  • Verify the caption settings: Ensure that the closed caption settings are configured correctly on your Roku device. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Captions mode on your Roku device and verify that the "Captions mode" is set to "On always."
  • Try a different streaming app: If the issue persists, try opening a different streaming app and see if the closed captioning works correctly. This will help you determine if the issue is app-specific or affecting your entire Roku device.
  • Restart your Roku device: Sometimes simply restarting your Roku device can resolve issues with settings. To restart your Roku device, go to Settings > System > System restart.
  • Reset your Roku device: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, you can try resetting your Roku device to its factory settings. Keep in mind that resetting your Roku device will erase all settings and preferences, so you will need to set them up again.
  • Check the app's settings: Some apps have their own closed captioning settings. Check the settings within the app you're using to see if closed captioning is enabled and functioning properly.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Denizen

Well, none of that worked.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Denizen,

Welcome to your first post in the Roku Community!

Could you please tell us more about the issue you're running into with closed caption? Also, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far? 

We would be more than happy to help. The more detailed information we receive, the better we could assist you. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Trishj117
Reel Rookie

Just set up my newest Roku and it appears it is just Netflix with the problem.  Captioning is black text and appears, but the show I am watching has very dark video.  Tried another stream and the captioning is as I have changed it in settings.  Tried reset but there is no difference.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Trishj117,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with subtitles or closed captioning on your TV. Help is here. Please follow these steps:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. To open the Style menu, select Accessibility and then Caption Style. If Accessibility is not listed, select Captions.
  4. Adjust each style element. A preview appears with an example of the changes.
    • Text: style (font)/edge effect/size/color/opacity
    • Background: color/opacity
    • Window: color/opacity

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Trishj117
Reel Rookie

I appreciate your response, however, I had already done all of those steps before contacting this site.  My old device blew during a storm so I am not a newbe to Roku .. and the captioning worked fine on my old device .. and only appears not to work on Netflix (I have not tried every channel but perhaps I should check all of them?).  The captioning remains black on Netflix only and will not change.  Since I rely on the CC feature this is getting quite frustrating.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Trishj117,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

If the issue persists on one channel after attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ahowdog

hey! the issue has been driving me absolutely crazy and i have found that it works when i have captions ALWAYS OFF in my settings on roku. you have to manually turn the captions on in each streaming app, but then they work! i hope this works for everyone else

0 Kudos
gordosan

tried all your suggestions still no luck , my wife and I are both hearing impaired and without captioning

we may as well not watch the Roku channels ??????

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.