Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beltonite
Channel Surfer

Both My Old and New ROKU Devices Always Overheat

I have used ROKU products for quite some time now and here are my findings.  Overheating is a very real problem for every ROKU device I have owned - period.  By that I mean that two totally different models made years apart each ALWAYS and CONSISTENTLY got hot enough to kick off an error message and rendering the entire streaming experience an absolute failure.  So called old model is the 4800X console type unit (not a stick - Ser. No. S02A208HA6P6) and it didn't take long for it to start kicking codes.  I finally resorted to elevating the unit off my console to create more airflow beneath it then buying a small USB powered fan to literally keep it cool enough to run.  Then, most recent upgrade to the 3820X stick (Ser. No. X017005XUREG), software version 11.0.0 - build 4193-CU has resulted in exactly the same behavior.  Dongle extender makes no difference - still overheats on its own unless and until I blow cool air on it constantly.  Since I am accustomed to ROKU and its features, I choose to live with the thing.  So I have cobbled together my own cooling solution, crude as it is.  It's the best way I know of to keep from getting overheated. The stick does occasionally just go out of whack altogether and becomes unresponsive or has huge latency problems.  At my age, it's just a lot less of a hassle to just put up with it.  ROKU, you have an overheating issue that seems not only prevalent, well known and documented, but more importantly, persists and goes on unaddressed.  Extenders, software, etc. don't fix a thing.  You have a design flaw - fix it.  It's now October 2022 and I do not see anything anywhere that suggests I am the only one experiencing this.  FIX IT!

ROKU Cooling 2 LowRes.jpg

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Both My Old and New ROKU Devices Always Overheat

I don't doubt you are experiencing the overheating problem, as you are far from the only one reporting it.

It is not a universal problem, however.   Over the years I've used at least five different Roku models and have never had a problem with overheating. 

My most-used Roku is always whatever is connected to my living room set.  In recent years this has been a progression of Roku Streaming Stick models,  connected by HDMI extension cable several feet long going through the wall in which the TV is mounted and into an equipment cabinet.  Perhaps this additional separation has something to do with it, I cannot say.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Beltonite
Channel Surfer

Good for you.  I am addressing all the customers who paid good money for a unit that is clearly prone to overheating.  Let the hair on your back lay back down now.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Beltonite 

You are of course free to criticize any advice given to you in the Community, or perhaps consider it in the spirit it is given in addressing your issue.

Since @makaiguy has indicated that he has encountered no overheating issues while maintaining a similar setup with additional space/distance between the Streaming Stick and the television with the use of a longer HDMI cable; and you are experiencing issues with the Streaming Stick dangling and resting on the side of the TV, perhaps you can test whether you can resolve the overheating by either:

a. using a longer HDMI cable

b. at least drape it over the rod holding the fan to get some more distance from the TV and its heat exhaust.

----

An analogy for you.

I own an old Chevy 1995 6.5L diesel dually.  An electronic fuel pump driver is located on the side on the fuel pump in the valley of the engine.  The design was such that the diesel going through the pump was supposed to cool this exterior mounted electronic driver module.  It did not, trucks stalled going 60mph down highways, and owners had to wait for the module to cool down, reset, and then hopefully be able to restart their trucks.  Chevy responded by redesigning/upgrading the module.  Still failed, bad design.  Mechanics and owners then came up with the idea of simply relocating these modules away from the heat of the engine by mounting them on aluminum heat sinks, using an extender harness, and mounting them in the bumpers of the trucks where airflow could get to them.  Problem solved.  Every 6.5 owner (those still alive) now knows about the extension relocation kit.

-----

You can either see if Roku fixes your particular issue that you are having, or perhaps welcome suggestions and info offered to you from users that may be more intimately knowledgeable of these devices and workarounds of any shortcomings they may or may not have.   

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Beltonite
Channel Surfer

I think folks keep getting things a bit wrong.  I've only owned two ROKU devices - they both have overheated REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY ARE PLACED, near or not, dongle, no dongle. That translates to 100% of my ROKU devices will overheat if I don't take other measures, which I have.  I am absolutely not hating on ROKU, but there is clearly an issue with some units for some owners with overheating, new or old and that's a fact.  ROKU's canned responses just seem a bit lame and pretty much miss the whole point - heat dissipation and management has been, continues to be and will be a customer impacting problem with ROKU devices in many cases.  That is a fact, plain and simple.  I contend they can do better, especially at the rate with which devices now become obsolete.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Beltonite

Thanks for the posts. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have passed along your concerns and information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JennyOz

Same for me. I have had Roku premiere and Roku streaming stick plus both show the overheating error. When I looked today it was 109 degrees Celsius. There has to be a better option then hooking up a fan to the back of my TV

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JennyOz,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an overheating issue with your Roku device. We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

If you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message | Official Roku ...

To resolve the overheating issue for the Roku Streaming Stick, we'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos