Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

Blank Video when opening stream for 5-7 seconds

Jump to solution

Roku 4804CA-Roku Ultra

Software 11.5.0-Build 4312-C2

Connected to Yamaha RXV567

Ancient Toshiba LCD

When watching videos from multiple sources (Motor Trend+, Discovery+, Plex, Emby)  It seems the audio stream starts about 5 seconds before the video. 

Video output is 1080p and I am using the supplied HDMI cable that came with my Roku.

Video Display Type is set to Automatic (1080p)

I currently have the audio mode in Passthrough as it allows more than 5 channel audio in Plex, which the software allows even though the ARC on my TV predates greater than 5 channel audio.  I have NO audio issues at all.....(matter of fact quite happy with that!)

I have no connectivity problems and the Roku says connection speed wireless is 96Mbps

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Blank Video when opening stream for 5-7 seconds

Jump to solution

@teddyfroop-

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" some Roku devices have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item. 

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out of commercial breaks that have a different native frame rate than the programs they are inserted into.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, a frame rate of 60 fps is used for everything and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.  The trade off is that moving image quality may be degraded somewhat.  You'll need to decide which is the less acceptable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @teddyfroop 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you try connecting directly to the TV and not with the AVR and see if you will see the same issue occur?

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@teddyfroop-

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" some Roku devices have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item. 

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out of commercial breaks that have a different native frame rate than the programs they are inserted into.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, a frame rate of 60 fps is used for everything and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.  The trade off is that moving image quality may be degraded somewhat.  You'll need to decide which is the less acceptable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You are correct.  After testing as asked and checking your suggestion it is the refresh rate causing the problem. 

I can live with it though because as you can see I use Plex, mostly for my media library which contains 500+ files all at 24 FPS.

Curious though as I have an older (I think first gen) Ultra that does not behave the same way.

0 Kudos
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Further to this, I now have a new TV and the Roku is directly connected to the TV- because my older AVR has issues with switching video sources AND the new TV is the Sink device for ARC/EARC.

Once that change was made the "problem" went away.

0 Kudos