Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

AV1 16x9 video displaying properly

I am working on moving my video library to AV1 (Webm) format.  I ripped a movie that does not display correctly from my Roku Ultra.  Playing using the Emby app on PC and on Android TV it displays correctly.  Roku shows a 4x3  picture when the original is 16X9.

Is this a known issue?

Video

ID :1
Format :AV1
Format/Info :AOMedia Video 1
Format profile :Main@L3.0
Codec ID :av01
Duration :1 h 43 min
Source duration :1 h 43 min
Bit rate :716 kb/s
Width :720 pixels
Height :480 pixels
Display aspect ratio :2.25:1
Frame rate mode :Variable
Frame rate :23.976 FPS
Minimum frame rate :23.974 FPS
Maximum frame rate :29.970 FPS
Color space :YUV
Chroma subsampling :4:2:0
Bit depth :8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :0.086
Stream size :531 MiB (78%)
Source stream size :531 MiB (78%)
Encoded date :2023-04-21 10:52:31 UTC
Tagged date :2023-04-21 10:52:31 UTC
Color range :Limited
Color primaries :BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics :BT.709
Matrix coefficients :BT.601
Menus :3
Codec configuration box :av1C
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: AV1 16x9 video displaying properly

720x480 certainly stands out which is neither 16x9 or 4x3.  I'd have to look up how width, height, and display aspect ratio all play together or are supposed to play together.  Are there black bars (top/bottom or left/right) encoded into the video?  Can you post a sample somewhere?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

Left and right - not top and bottom.

Also if you look in the Video properties I attached it specifies the aspect ratio as

Display aspect ratio :2.25:1

The resolution matches the DVD this was ripped from so its a standard resolution.

0 Kudos
renojim

Like I said, I don't know if/how "Display aspect ratio" is taken into account when the video is played back.  I can say that if there's black bars encoded into the video they will always be visible when played back on a Roku device.  When I rip a disc I always crop the black bars off using ffmpeg.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Unfortunately, the size and aspect ratio are not always tied together. Looking at one of my widescreen movies, I get

Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9

So as you can see, the width and height are the same as yours, but it is reporting a different aspect ratio. I have another DVD rip that I ran through Handbrake, because the image had black bands around all four sides. The difference in the video was that the latter was not mastered as an anamorphic image, so it had the black bars all the way around. I don't think MediaInfo identifies that setting, at least not that I can see after looking at several of my rips. My only solution for those incorrectly mastered videos was to either use Handbrake to alter the perceived video size (which doesn't always come out looking as good as you would hope) or find a correctly mastered disc, usually on Blu Ray instead of DVD. I've replaced several of my DVD rips with Blu Ray because the DVDs were not mastered as anamorphic, and the either had black bars around all four sides or the image didn't display correctly (usually either squished or stretched out). Fortunately I've never encountered a Blu Ray that wasn't done correctly. 

Is it a Roku specific issue? I don't think so, because as best I can recall the same movie looked the same with either a Roku or Shield as the player. And the Shield runs on Android, so I would expect it to not have the issue. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
teddyfroop
Binge Watcher

Roku only.  I use Emby media server and on my Android TV - its fine HOWEVER it is transcoding.....

The problem is the Sony TV.  It has a weird mode where IF you have Dolby Vision enabled it displays 720x 480 in a weird 5x3 format - ie: they made watching DVD's with Dolby Vision on do weird things so you buy blu rays.....

I went to 1280x720 and problems are solved.  It kinda sucks but whatever.

I am going to guess this will be a problem on all K8x and K9x series TV's from Sony.

0 Kudos