Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Animull
Reel Rookie

Re: Audio stops working after long pause

Jump to solution

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENING HERE TOO

jkennebeck
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here since the software update on May 5th. Please fix this. Its aggravating. 

Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm having the exact same problem. I have two Roku Ultras (Model: 4800X) one purchased a few years ago and one purchased this week, and both of them do not have audio from the YouTube TV stream (live or DVR) but I can hear the Roku sounds, so I know the TVs are working fine. It happens after a long pause, maybe 15 minutes or so. Enough for the screensaver to come on. I turned off the power saving mode and that didn't help.

I have updated the YouTube TV app and the Roku Ultras, I have uninstalled/reinstalled the YouTube App. I called YouTube because I thought it was them, and they had me unplug the HDMI cable for 30 seconds and plug it back in. That worked one time, but now I have to reboot the Roku every time it happens.

I also have two streaming sticks - one purchased a few years ago and one purchased this week. These devices do not have the same problem. I can pause for an hour and the screensaver is on when I return, but I can press OK or Play/Pause and it picks up right where it left off, video and audio are both fine. This is clearly a bug in the Ultra devices. Please fix. I often have to pause.

I'm happy to provide whatever information you need to pinpoint the problem or help with your troubleshooting efforts.

sgarret3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Me too. Just started noticing same thing. With Roku Ultras. Recent update causing this???

It only effects movie audio. Roku sounds come through and the sound of Netflix and YouTube startup sound can also be heard. Just tv and movie audio disappeared.

Have noticed when it gets into this state, it slows down. Hitting the Home button takes longer to go to home screen. Sometimes 5 seconds or so.

After reboot. Everything goes back to normal. Still annoying as **bleep**.

I use the fish tank screen saver, not sure if that has anything to do with anything else.

Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@sgarret3 Thanks for sharing your experience too. I also use the aquarium screensaver on all my Rokus. Hands down, it's the best screensaver! Since this might be related, I switched my screensaver to the outer space one. I'm testing for the bug again now and will get back to everyone shortly.

Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well, it's not just the aquarium screensaver. It just happened to me with the outer space one.

I have noticed the two TVs with the streaming sticks do not shut off when paused for a long time. I can leave the room for an hour and when I come back, the screensaver is still on and video/audio resumes normally.

On the Roku Ultra TVs, the screensaver runs for some time (not sure how long, I haven't timed it) but then the TV will power off. Maybe that is part of this problem? I'm not sure if the audio loss occurs when the screensaver comes on BEFORE the TV shuts off.

I sure do hope someone from Roku weighs in with an ETA for the fix. I love my Rokus and just want them to work as they did before. 

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It’s definitely an Ultra-specific issue. And I don’t use the outer space screensaver.

JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It’s definitely an Ultra-specific issue and I don’t use the outer space screensaver.

0 Kudos
Faithy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I tested a couple of other screensavers and it doesn't matter which one I use. I did just discover that if I let the screensaver come on and run for a few minutes, then go back to my paused show, it plays fine. The audio doesn't work if the screensaver is on long enough to shut off the TV. After that happens, no audio. I'm going to test it again with the power-saving feature off.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It is definitely after an extended pause, roughly at least 10 minutes of screensaver. And it’s since the 11.0 update.

The other thing that really bugs me is if the screensaver is up and you hit play, it blows out and opens another random app rather than resuming what you were watching. Makes no sense.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.