Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul22
Streaming Star

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

My brand new Streaming Stick 4K was suffering from the HDCP issue randomly. I tried all of Roku’s suggested fixes (forcing 1080p instead of auto, disabling auto adjust refresh rate, disabling bandwidth saver), but nothing worked. Each time the Roku wasn’t used for an extended period of time (e.g. overnight) and then switched on, I’d get the HDCP error. I submitted a ticket with Roku support last week but haven’t heard back yet.

I then decided to disable power saver (the setting that automatically turns off the device after 20 mins of inactivity). It’s been a couple of days now and I have not seen the HDCP error. So I’m wondering if this has something to do with the device’s power saver mode. I’ll keep my eye on this for a few days. Hopefully I’ve fixed it.

Lutz

Error 020 happens now almost every day. I have two (2) Roku Express 4K+ devices bought through Amazon. Model 3941X for both devices, for the first Device ID S07P219YPF7V, for the second Device ID S07P217JYX8K, and the for both is Software OS Version 11.0.0 Build  4193-CR. The only solution that I have found to work is "Unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in each time Error 020 occurs!" This is very irritating and certainly inconvenient. This problem is persistent and I think Roku should have to replace each unit. Who do I contact to make that happen?

smcg56
Reel Rookie

Paul22, I followed your advice and disabled the power saving mode.  The HDCP errors have disappeared, so seems you found a good work-around.  It also proves it is a firmware error related to the hardware device state when in reduced power mode.  Hopefully someone in ROKU engineering will read this and fix the problem so we can re-enable power saving...

Paul22
Streaming Star

Good stuff. Glad it worked for you. Mine is still working well too without the HDCP errors. I’m going to give it a few more days to make sure it’s stable, and then I’ll let Roku support know by updating my ticket.

0 Kudos
srr13

Hi,

There are actually two problems.  The HDCP error screen comes up randomly, sometimes even after a program has started. The second problem is that upon turning on my TV, I see a a connection/source error message telling me to check the output settings on my TV.  That goes away if I click on the Home button a couple times.

Model: 4800X Roku Ultra

ID: SO2A221R6P86  Serial# X0100UR6P8U

O/S: 11.0.0 build R1193-C2

Steps to replicate: turning on the TV (for the "source" error) and no identifiable steps to trigger the HDCP error message since it happens quite randomly but goes away if I do a system restart.

Also, if I do the restart the HDMI box which usually says only "No Time Information" will show this: 1920x1080x60P

The Roku autodetect shows the TV as 1080P HDCP 1.4.  The TV just had a firmware update last week.

Thanks,

Scott Ripple

0 Kudos
MOUNTAINMAN2000
Reel Rookie

MODEL 3930RW-ROKU EXPRESS...SERIAL NO. X00400X4S5E4...DEVICE ID S00931A4S5E3...REPEATEDLY FOLLOWED PROCEDURE ON SCREEN WITH NO SUCCESS. CAN WATCH YOU TUBE BUT NO NETFLIX ROKU ETC...AUDIO BUT NO VIDEO JUST HDCP SCREEN. TRIED 2.2 COMPLIANT GOFANCO PRO-HDCPCONV WITH NO RESULTS

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

Try disabling power saver mode on your Roku device if you currently have it enabled. Seems to have solved my HDCP errors.

0 Kudos
MOUNTAINMAN2000
Reel Rookie

DID'NT HELP...GETTING FLUSTERED

0 Kudos
Paul22
Streaming Star

It’s been about one week since I disabled power saver mode and the HDCP error has not occurred since. This is looking more and more like Roku has an issue with that feature and the way the device manages power states.

0 Kudos
dfpollard
Reel Rookie

I’ve been informed that a software downgrade is necessary to eliminate the error. I guess Roku has finally come around to thinking maybe the problem is on their end 🙂

0 Kudos