Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EastcoastJoe
Reel Rookie

Amazon Prime Video Poor Video Quality

Prime Video Channel now has really bad pixelated video quality most of the time on 2 of my Roku deives (Ultra, and Express 4k+) . All other streaming channels are fine. Video quality is good on my phone, an Android TV, and on a Roku Streaming Stick+. Tried removing channel, restarting, and re-adding channel to no avail. Connection speed on devices are good at 80Mpbs+.

12 REPLIES 12
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime Video Poor Video Quality

Hi @EastcoastJoe,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We acknowledge your concern, and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. This seems like an issue directly rooted with the channel built, that the channel provider can address. We recommend reaching out to Prime channel's support directly and inquiring further regarding this issue so a workaround can be provided on their end.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EastcoastJoe
Reel Rookie

...I'm sure they will tell me it's Roku's fault and will try and sell me a Fire TV Stick. I was hoping Roku would act on their customers behalf in order to provide a good experience for their own product.

psari49
Channel Surfer

Agreed, we experienced something like this trying to watch some recent DC movies on the Prime app on our 3 year old Roku Ultra. Note that we use a gigabit connection via ethernet cable. The first was the new Flash via a free trial of Max through Prime. The resolution constantly went in and out (badly pixelated) and poor resolution was somewhat tied to fast action in the film. I thought at first that it might be a problem with Max. But then we watched Batman vs. Superman and just started Justice League. Not as bad, but pixelating a lot on fast action scenes. I dug out an old Fire Stick, plugged it in and Justice League on Prime displayed just fine on it. I wonder if Amazon has crippled its streaming app on Roku in order to drive customers to its own devices?
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @EastcoastJoe @psari49,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We understand you're having a problem with the Amazon prime video channel. We're happy to assist you further. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

Let us know how it works and we will continue to assist you further.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
psari49
Channel Surfer

Nice try, but it shows the Prime app is already up to date.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @psari49.

During playback, kindly click on the Star button on your remote to look for additional picture settings. Also, since the issue is isolated to Amazon Prime, reaching out to the provider and asking for additional troubleshooting steps may sort out this concern, so we recommend you do so.

Let us know your findings.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
touvems64

Could you please reach out to Amazon since the app is installed from your platform? Let us know what they say. The quality streaming on Roku devices continues to be an issue. Would you recommend users to move to other hardware? 

Qubbe

I would agree that Amazon is deiliberatly degrading video quality on competing devices to steer consumers to their FireStick. The video quality is so blatantly bad this seems the only reason. And contacting them they would just try to sell me on their device instead.

Davedipster
Reel Rookie

Trying to watch fallout last night with my streaming stick 4k on prime, some really bad artifacts in the picture especially S1E05 29mins30sec see the blue shutter door. Fine on an old fire stick 4k. It's a shame.

Definitely a prime video only issue, and I'm paying extra for ad free so I get Dolby vision and Atmos.

Please fix this Roku 

0 Kudos