Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chimptard
Reel Rookie

Unable to view cameras on phone (mobile data)

Jump to solution

I am no longer able to view my cameras through the smart app on my smartphone unless I'm connected to the same wifi my cameras are connected to. I was able to view my cameras through the app using just my mobile data while I was away from home.  I'm not sure if it was something I changed within the permissions through the app or if this is caused from settings on my router. Support just kept telling me I need to get a more data through my phone service. This isn't the issue. Someone help please. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to view cameras on phone (mobile data)

Jump to solution

On my phone, under the "Connections" settings there's "Data usage" and under that is a setting for "Mobile data".  That's the setting I was thinking of, but if I turn it off I can't use the Smart Home app at all when not connected to Wi-Fi, so I'm guessing that's not the problem, but it still might be worth checking.

Edit:  I may have misspoke.  I think it was actually the "Data saver" setting that I was trying to recall, but I can enable that and still access my camera.  When I had it enabled way back when, I wouldn't get text messages or something like that.  It was before I had a camera, so I can't say how or if it affects that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Jump to solution

Can you turn the camera off and on from the list of cameras in the app when you're not connected to the same network?  I think that might tell you if you can connect to the camera at all.  What happens when you try to view the camera?

Is it possible to connect your phone to a different Wi-Fi network than the one which your camera is connected to see if it works?  I just tried connecting to a camera that's on the other side of the country both with and without my phone connected to Wi-Fi and didn't have a problem.

Lastly, problems with the Smart Home app can sometimes be cleared up by removing and reinstalling the app, but my gut feeling is that it's something with the router.

0 Kudos
chimptard
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I am able to turn the camera on or off with just my phone connected to the phone data. I'll have to try another network when I can though. 

0 Kudos
RayRay_7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here. If I'm using cellular data I can turn Off the camera's and turn them back on. I will be able to reconnect and view live stream for few times before connection stops. Never had this issue with previous camera systems. 

0 Kudos
chimptard
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally checked from my phone through another wifi network and yes it does allow me to view my cameras. Is this a phone permissions issue or what do you believe it could be?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@chimptard, do you have an Android phone?  I recall a setting on my phone that affected or didn't allow data usage unless connected to Wi-Fi.  I'd have to dig around in the settings to refresh my memory.

0 Kudos
chimptard
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes it is an android phone

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

On my phone, under the "Connections" settings there's "Data usage" and under that is a setting for "Mobile data".  That's the setting I was thinking of, but if I turn it off I can't use the Smart Home app at all when not connected to Wi-Fi, so I'm guessing that's not the problem, but it still might be worth checking.

Edit:  I may have misspoke.  I think it was actually the "Data saver" setting that I was trying to recall, but I can enable that and still access my camera.  When I had it enabled way back when, I wouldn't get text messages or something like that.  It was before I had a camera, so I can't say how or if it affects that.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.