Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

Had this app forever and now it's suddenly decided not to work unless I enable two-factor authentication. I don't want it enabled but the app refuses to open until I enable it. Turning off the feature does nothing as the next time I try to open the app it again will insist that I activate two-factor authentication before allowing me to access my own camera feeds.

I guess I'm just reporting an issue here, not seeking a solution, as I've given up on trying to use these troublesome cameras and will be returning them all for refunds soon.

39 REPLIES 39
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

We appreciate your feedback! Roku is dedicated to making your Smart Home experience secure and worry-free. We are now requiring two-factor authentication on all Roku Smart Home accounts to give you the most secure account.

You can learn more about 2-factor Authentication here: How to enable two-factor verification on the Smart Home app.

Your feedback is important to us and I want to assure you that we'll pass it along to our product team.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

@RokuAustin

Just a little FYI: the way you have this two-factor authentication set up actually defeats the entire purpose of having it. If someone has managed to unlock my phone and is attempting to open my Smart Home app - then they'll also have access to the text message sent by Roku containing the code to open the app... You're basically inconveniencing the user without providing any added security whatsoever.

You REALLY need to rethink the two-factor authentication on this app!

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your experience is important to us. Two-factor authentication helps prevent someone from gaining access to your account from a device that isn't in your possession. If someone were to try to access your login credentials from a different device, 2FA would prevent them from being able to log in. Hope that information is helpful. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Jose62181

I don’t want to use the two step verification. Is there a way I can permanently disable it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the replies: NOPE

You will now have to enter a code each and every single time you wish to look at any of your camera feeds. Convenient!

At this point I've given up on these cameras. I can't get them to trigger recording by motion - despite having a paid subscription - and now I'm being forced against my will to enter codes every dang time I want to look at the camera feeds. Enough is enough. Returned them all today for full refunds. Felt great!

Dontask4myname6
Channel Surfer

PLEASE TURN THIS FEATURE OFF!!  I don’t want to be sent a text message verification every time to open the app. That’s ridiculous and bothersome to active users. Guess I will have to go to Arlo instead. 😳😒

Dcmanryan

Did the genius who decided to require two factor authentication could maybe try to think outside the box for 10 seconds and consider maybe, just maybe, multiple people who each have a phone like to check in on pets? Now that can’t be done easily as you have to text the other person the code. Not to mention every time I open the app now not one camera will connect until it turn it off via the app and back on and wait for it to reconnect. Your team has proven to be beyond incompetent and I’m moving on from this garbage I’m paying $10/month for to view and can’t even do that now. Stick with streaming devices and abandon the camera business. 

bbjc

Got this for the first time this morning - don’t want to do it but to make it worse - I have tried several times (timing out at 10 minutes each time) but it never actually texts me the code so.. I can’t even set it up just to see my own cameras or turn on my smart plugs, or light bulbs.. 

I have loved these products for a while but this is absolutely ridiculous on several levels. 

Webs4

This is awful. I can’t even open the app and change my lights without 2 factor!  Everyone in my household had the Roku Smart Home app on their phone to be able to change lights.

Now with 2 factor that’s nearly impossible for other phones to change lights.

Not to mention the complete ridiculousness and inconvenience of having to enter a code every time I want change the lights.

I will immediately be switching from Roku smart home to something else. Maybe Walmart will still refund my lightbulb purchases.