Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mdparker04
Binge Watcher

Smart Home App no longer delivers notifications

Jump to solution

About a week ago, I bought the Roku Home Monitoring SE, and for the first few days, it worked flawlessly until we had an internet outage. Along with the monitoring system, I also bought an indoor camera, which was also affected. Videos recorded by the camera and uploaded to the cloud would no longer play. However, I resolved that problem by deleting the app and reinstalling it. 

Since the internet outage, my monitoring base and all accessories have also been offline in the app. I finally resolved this by deleting all equipment from the app and adding it back one by one. 

Now, it shows back online again, and I can configure it.

But now, when a sensor is triggered, I no longer receive push notifications on my phone, and the status of the sensors, i.e., open or closed, no longer reflects the current status. It always says closed or clear in the case of the motion sensor. I need all of this to reflect accurately in the app (and push notifications) to keep track of the opening and closing of windows and doors.

Thank you in advance for your help in resolving this issue.

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Smart Home App no longer delivers notifications

Jump to solution

Hi @Mdparker04,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku Smart Home devices. Please check out this link here on what to do if your Roku Smart Home device is offline. You can also follow the steps below on how to restart the Roku Home Monitoring System SE and your Roku Indoor Camera SE:

1. Restart the hub: Unplug the USB cable from the back of the hub. Hold the reset button down for 10–15 seconds until the lights on the top turn off. Note: Do not just tap the reset button. If it’s not held, the hub will go into pairing mode, and you will have to set up all the sensors and keypads again. Once the hub is off, wait 10 seconds, and then plug the USB back into the hub. This should power the hub back up.
  2. Restart Keypad: Remove the keypad from the wall mount by pushing up on the keypad and then pulling it off the mount. Once the mount is removed, remove the battery cover. Remove the batteries and then reinsert them, making sure they are put in correctly.
  3. Restart the sensors: Remove the back from the sensor. Motion slid up and off > Door or window pop off > Remove the batteries and then reinsert them, making sure they are put in correctly.
  4. Restart Indoor Camera: Try to unplug and re-plug it from the wall outlet.

Let us know if it works.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Mdparker04
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Well, I thought I had all my devices online, but after I assigned a static IP and DNS server to my monitoring box, everything went back offline again.

Michael

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mdparker04,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with your Roku Smart Home devices. Please check out this link here on what to do if your Roku Smart Home device is offline. You can also follow the steps below on how to restart the Roku Home Monitoring System SE and your Roku Indoor Camera SE:

1. Restart the hub: Unplug the USB cable from the back of the hub. Hold the reset button down for 10–15 seconds until the lights on the top turn off. Note: Do not just tap the reset button. If it’s not held, the hub will go into pairing mode, and you will have to set up all the sensors and keypads again. Once the hub is off, wait 10 seconds, and then plug the USB back into the hub. This should power the hub back up.
  2. Restart Keypad: Remove the keypad from the wall mount by pushing up on the keypad and then pulling it off the mount. Once the mount is removed, remove the battery cover. Remove the batteries and then reinsert them, making sure they are put in correctly.
  3. Restart the sensors: Remove the back from the sensor. Motion slid up and off > Door or window pop off > Remove the batteries and then reinsert them, making sure they are put in correctly.
  4. Restart Indoor Camera: Try to unplug and re-plug it from the wall outlet.

Let us know if it works.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mdparker04
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Eunice,

I believe I found the culprit. From the beginning, the App was a bit flakey at times, but it mostly worked until the latest round of issues discussed in this post. I've been doing a few tweaks, trying to harden things a bit more lately, so I began to think about what I could have done that might have undesired consequences. They are as follows:

1. Put all IoT devices on a separate guest network - including the monitoring hub

2. Enable DoS Prevention on the router

3. Changed the DHCP DNS on the router to cleanbrowsing.org's DNS servers.

I backed out those changes one at a time. Now, all devices show online, and the App is working flawlessly. I can't say with 100% confidence, but I feel pretty sure the DoS prevention feature was the culprit. I found a few user forums involving some people having assorted problems with this feature, so it is staying off! Hopefully, that will be that - so far so good.

Thank you for your information, though! I'm saving it in the event I have a future issue that requires a reboot of the monitoring hub. That was one step I wanted to take, but I did not know how to power it off.

Michael

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.