Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ubiquity60914
Reel Rookie

Camera live stream freezes on first view

Here is the experience I am having when viewing a camera's live stream:

I open the app and tap on a camera.
The video feed opens and plays for about a second and then freezes.  Sound continues to stream but video does not update.
I back out of the live feed by tapping the back button and then reopen the same camera stream.
On this attempt, the video works properly, along with the sound.
I back out of this stream and select a different camera and I experience the same freeze after a second.
This is again resolved by back button and reselecting same stream.

So, in essence, any time I want to watch a stream, I have to open that stream, close it, and then reopen it.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Camera live stream freezes on first view

Hi @Ubiquity60914,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'll be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you are having with the Roku camera since the live stream freezes. Please try to check if there is an available update on the Roku smart home app, as well as the Roku camera by following the steps below:

1. Select a device from the Home screen in the smart home app.
  2. Tap Settings in the top corner.
  3. Tap Device info.
  4. Tap Firmware version to see the current software and build version and check for an update.
  5. If a software update is available, tap Update.

Note: After the software update is finished, your smart home device will automatically restart.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ubiquity60914
Reel Rookie

Yeah, tried that before posting.  Don't think it's an issue with the device (read camera).

As an additional note, this behavior does not happen on the Camera Channel on any of my 3 Roku streaming players.

This appears to be a bug in the software on my Android phone.

Other things I've tried to no avail:

• Clearing cache in the app
  • Logging out of the app and back in
  • Rebooting the phone
  • Uninstalling the app and reinstalling

Each time I open any camera stream (after opening the app or watching another camera), it will freeze video while continuing to play audio.  Closing the stream and reopening the same stream seems to be the only way to temporarily resolve the issue for that particular stream.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the additional information, @Ubiquity60914!

We would like to gather more details to investigate this issue with the Roku camera further since the live stream freezes. Can you please provide the following information below?

• When did the issue start?
  • Could you share with us a video clip of your running problem?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.