Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cncmoore

brand new roku express keeps starting over setup process after connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

we got a new roku express for a different room, and when trying to set it up the furthest it'll go is 2 steps. every time i connect it to wifi it says it's gonna restart itself after installing any system updates, and when it does it goes right back to step 1 (language selection) then goes into wifi setup again. and it keeps happening again and again no matter how many times i connect it to wifi. i know it has nothing to do with the wifi itself since it keeps accepting it and even when i connected it the first time, i got an alert from my internet provider app saying there's a new connection. and i tried the reset button on the back several times and it didn't make a difference. so i don't know what to do, i'm starting to feel like we got a defective one. what is going on?

side note sn is S0KC339LK89X in case that's important.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: brand new roku express keeps starting over setup process after connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

@cncmoore-

If the suggestion from @renojim doesn't fix it for you ...

When the setup fails to complete here are a some things that some people have found to work for them. They may not be universally successful, but they are at least worth a try.

Easiest to try, so try this first: Restart your router, even if other devices on the network are not having problems. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup.

Try using a different WiFi network to do the update - perhaps via a WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the WiFi connection to use your intended WiFi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection. Why this works, when it does, I haven't a clue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim

Re: brand new roku express keeps starting over setup process after connecting to wifi

Jump to solution

Make sure the power source you're using is adequate.  Many TVs' USB ports can't supply enough power.  Try a power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet.  Look at the fine print for something like, Output:  5V 1A (or 1000mA).  Anything greater than 1A (1000mA) is good, less is not.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@cncmoore-

If the suggestion from @renojim doesn't fix it for you ...

When the setup fails to complete here are a some things that some people have found to work for them. They may not be universally successful, but they are at least worth a try.

Easiest to try, so try this first: Restart your router, even if other devices on the network are not having problems. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup.

Try using a different WiFi network to do the update - perhaps via a WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the WiFi connection to use your intended WiFi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection. Why this works, when it does, I haven't a clue.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X