Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbppp

Will Roku Express 4K+ work in HD on an old HD TV that has HDMI that does not support HDCP 2.2?

Jump to solution

I have a 2010 Samsung TV with up to 1080p and an HDMI input that does not support HDCP 2.2.  I am trying to decide between the basic Roku Express and Roku Express 4K+.  The Roku Express 4K+ has a better remote, which I believe would be the only advantage for me over the Roku Express, but that would be worth the higher price for me.  However, I am not sure that the Roku Express 4K+ will work at all on my TV.  The Tech Specs say that it is compatible with HD TV's (as well as 4K TV's) and that an HD TV's HDMI input does not have to support HDCP 2.2, but I am worried that the Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable included with the device will trigger an incompatibility warning. Does anyone know whether I can really use Roku Express 4K+ with the included Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable on my old HD TV? Or should I just go for the basic Roku Express?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Will Roku Express 4K+ work in HD on an old HD TV that has HDMI that does not support HDCP 2.2?

Jump to solution

I use the Express 4K+ with my 2008 Samsung TV.  I can't remember if I used the HDMI cable that came in the Roku box or one of the HDMI cables that I already had. 

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will Roku Express 4K+ work in HD on an old HD TV that has HDMI that does not support HDCP 2.2?

Jump to solution

First, I never recommend the basic Express. The additional cost of a better player is absolutely worth it. 

Yes, the Express 4K+ should work just fine on any TV that supports 1080p on its HDMI port. HDCP 2.2 is backwards compatible with previous versions, and shouldn't cause any issues. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I use the Express 4K+ with my 2008 Samsung TV.  I can't remember if I used the HDMI cable that came in the Roku box or one of the HDMI cables that I already had. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos