Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Why no 4k with Roku Ultra?

Jump to solution
I recently purchased:

- a LG Class C2 AUA series OLED evo 4K UHD TV, with HDMI at @ 120 Hz, HDCP 2.2, and HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG);

- a Roku Ultra 4802R with HD/4K/HDR;

- a Pioneer VSX-534 5.2-channel AV Receiver, with 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, HLG, and HDCP 2.2.

I connected the Roku to the AVR with the Roku-included Premium High-Speed HDMI cable with 4K 60fps, and the AVR to the TV with a high-speed HDMI cable that supports 4k @120Hz, and 8K @ 60Hz , and Audio Return Channel (ARC), with 48Gbps bandwith.

The Roku is hardwired to the router, and I have 475+ Mbps actual download speed (as measured by Speedtest.net).

With this equipment I fully expected to be able to stream and watch 4K Ultra HD content.  However, the Roku Settings/Display Type automatically sets the video output to 1080P (Dolby Vision), and not to either 4K HDR or to 4K Dolby Vision HDR. If I manually select 4K, either Dolby Vision HDR or HDR, the Roku indicates: "Your current setting can display 4K Dolby Vision HDR (or 4K HDR) at 30 frames per second (not recommended).  For help changing your setting to get 60 fps: go.roku.com/HDR." I went to this site and read everything I could find regarding equipment and connections, and it seems like I satisfy every requirement.  The one thing that might be missing is that I can find nothing in the AVR setup or documentation about setting it to 60 fps instead of 30 fps.

What's the problem, and how do I fix it to process 4k HDR through to the TV, instead of 1080p?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why no 4k with Roku Ultra?

Jump to solution

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you that the Pioneer experts can tell you a setting to change to make it work correctly. I had a hunch it was the AVR, but troubelshooting from a distance is not an easy task. Glad you've confirmed the Roku is working as expected. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting @garthcas

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

Could you tell us if you are experiencing the issue when streaming 4K content or during all playback? Please be advised that all channels provide content in 4K. By any chance, can you provide examples of the channel you are watching and specific titles you are seeing the issue? So we can look into this further. 

We'll be waiting for your update. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am not watching any channel or particular content.  I am looking at the Roku Settings > Display Type, and it shows "Automatic (1080p Dolby Vision)".  As I explained, I can manually set it to one of the 4K options, but then it shows a warning that it will be at 30 fps which is not recommended.

There is 4K indicator light on my AVR that lights up when doing 4K upscaling or 4K pass through.  It lights up when I use a source other that the Roku (like the Cable TV box), but it does not light up when using the Roku, even when I try playing content that is specifically identified as 4K (like from Apple TV).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@garthcas 

Thanks for following up. 

Could you try streaming a 4K content and let us know what you find out? To successfully stream 4K Ultra HD content, all devices connected to your compatible Roku device must support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. This includes your TV, an AVR, and any other devices connected in between. 

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information about the following requirements to enjoy 4K content on a compatible Roku player: How to set up your Roku streaming player for 4K Ultra HD

Please keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As I explained in my posts, I tried streaming Apple TV content that is specifically identified as 4K, but the Roku automatically sets everything to 1080p right off the bat, even before I start a channel like Apple TV.  As I also explained, the specs for all my devices, the Roku, the Pioneer AVR, and the LG TV, as well as the cables, state that they support 4K and HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. Finally, I read everything I can find on your support pages and I would appear to satisfy every requirement.  I can get 4K upscaling or pass-through when using another source such as the Cable TV box, but the Roku insists on limiting it to 1080p.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@garthcas 

Thank you for providing us with the information. 

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, We'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have seen several posts here about the version 11 upgrade and problems that it seems to have caused with 4K (and other things).  I am running version 11.5.  Is there a bug in version 11 that is causing those problems as well as my own with not recognizing a 4K setup?

0 Kudos
bobmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with the VSX-LX104(B).  I couldn't get much help from Pioneer but was eventually able to contact the company that did the maintenance for them.  They sent me a code for the receiver which unlocked the 60HZ and it has worked ever since.  Unfortunately I tossed all my notes, so I can't tell you who to contact.  Sorry.

Bob

0 Kudos
bobmc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with the VSX-LX104(B).  I couldn't get much help from Pioneer but was eventually able to contact the company that did the maintenance for them.  They sent me a code for the receiver which unlocked the 60HZ and it has worked ever since.  Unfortunately I tossed all my notes, so I can't tell you who to contact.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you so much!! This is a valuable lead.  Do you by any chance remember the name of the company, so I can figure out how to contact them?  Did Pioneer give you the company name/contact?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.