Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobertA1
Reel Rookie

Use of Roku with older TV having only mono RCA audio input

Seeking to add Roku to an old TV which only has coax, RCA composite video and RCA mono audio inputs. The reason is that the TV has a built-in VCR player, which are hard to come by these days.  This TV is going for about $250 online.  Wish to put it in a guest room. 

Currently available Rokus don't use RCA anymore and would need an HDMI to RCA converter, however all of the latter have stereo RCA audio outputs.  Would using only one of them 1) lead to damage to the converter or the Roku since one output is unloaded, or 2) Create poor audio due to hearing only one of the stereo channels?

I have found an RCA stereo to RCA mono adapter for about $20, however 2 RCA mono outputs are provided.  Would using only one of them be OK?  According to AI generated answers it is ok but quality of AI results are often poor

I could get a used Roku with RCA outputs and avoid the HDMI to RCA conversion, but the Roku RCA outputs are stereo, so the same issue arises as above, needing to get a mono RCA input into the TV. 

Suggestions?   Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Use of Roku with older TV having only mono RCA audio input

How bad it will sound at any moment will probably depend on "how stereo" any given moment of audio happens to be.  There are stereo to mono converters if you want to add another box to keep the ancient TV alive. 

Then again, it might be better to capture your video tapes to mp4s, while you still have access to a VHS player that works, then get a modern TV.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
RobertA1
Reel Rookie

Problem is that much of the large library of VHS tapes are commercial and copyright protected, so can't dub to DVDs.

The stereo to mono RCA converters, as noted, provide 2 mono RCA outputs but would be using only one.  Not sure if this is an electrical no-no, leaving one output unloaded.  

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RobertA1-

I would think you could just combine the two stereo outputs into one using an RCA "Y" cable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RobertA1 wrote:

The stereo to mono RCA converters, as noted, provide 2 mono RCA outputs but would be using only one.  Not sure if this is an electrical no-no, leaving one output unloaded.  

Electrically, that's not a problem. A circuit with no load will simply not have any current/voltage across the connection. Just make sure there's no cable plugged into the unused port, as you then have the possibility of it shorting the connection. Not likely to happen, but best to just not have anything connected. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

It’s been a long time, but as I recall, VHS tapes were protected by Macrovision, which was a hack that relied on limitations of the crude color and contrast circuits in VHS VCRs.  As such, even in the 80s and 90s it was known that you could get around it by just dubbing to Beta instead.  Also, because a few TVs were affected, boxes to remove it were routinely advertised in major video magazines.

I suspect many modern capture devices wouldn’t even notice it.  Legally, I don’t think you’d have any problem with making a backup (modern copy) of ancient owned media for personal use.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

By the way, here’s a conversation about a simple circuit for properly converting stereo to mono.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/549289/why-are-two-1-k%ce%a9-resistors-used-for-this...

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.