Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkarl

Unit Unresponsive after Factory Reset

I have a Roku Express (model 3700X) that was given to me without a remote. I was able to connect to the unit using a new Voice control remote, downloaded the new 11.5 operating system, etc.

I then noted that the unit was still associated with the previous owner's Roku account and was unable to find a way to 'update' this connection to my account. Decided to do a Factory reset.

On powerup, the unit gets to the page where you choose a language and stops. I am completely unable to connect with the remote and am as a result stuck.

I've tried numerous times to re-do the Factory Reset and re-link the remote but all have had no effect.

Does anyone have a recommendation that might bring things back to life??

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unit Unresponsive after Factory Reset

You did the right thing by factory resetting it - that's the only way to link it to a new account.

Edited to remove bad information.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unit Unresponsive after Factory Reset

A 3700 express cannot be paired to voice remote, only IR remote. When a new voice remote comes out of the box and if it's not paired to given Roku, or that Roku is unplugged it will change from wifi to IR for Roku commands. It's probably why it controlled your express, but after the factory reset it probably paired with a neighbors Roku? A non-paired voice remote will not stay unpaired for long it will try to sniffer out a Roku device to pair with. Once it does it won't ever go back to being unpaired again. 

Keep the remote get rid of the 3700 express. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos