Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to setup a ROKU. Able to connect to WiFi network but Roku stops at Updating Software

I hâve thé same problem. 
What is the solutions 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Unable to setup a ROKU. Able to connect to WiFi network but Roku stops at Updating Software

Hi @Nicoledegreve

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Are you being prompted with an error message?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

As a first step, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page for a more helpful FAQ article that walks through the most common troubleshooting steps to assist you. Get started here: Official Roku Support | Roku Device Questions & Troubleshooting

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
osceola256

Re: Unable to setup a ROKU. Able to connect to WiFi network but Roku stops at Updating Software

I had almost the same problem.  When I started to set up my Roku Express, I would get to the wifi network selection, see that it was a good strong signal, then put in my password.  The Roku tried to make a wireless connection, then the screen would go blank, followed by the "Dancing Rokus".  After maybe 10 seconds or so, the screen would blank again, then the Rokus again.  This would go on about 5 or 6 times, then it would go back to the startup screen and I would go through this all over again.  Finally, I noticed that when the screen came back from blanking, the blue led would flash red for a fraction of a second.  That's when I decided to replace the 750ma phone charger with a beefier 2 amp wall wart from one of my Raspberry Pis. Plugged it in, went through the startup and, voila', the wifi connection was made and off I went into creating an account.  For all the people who are having this problem, try replacing your power supply with a bigger one; that might fix the problem.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@osceola256 

Thanks for posting with what worked for you.

The Roku devices that come equipped with the USB power adapter are 5volt, 1amp power adapters.  1.5 amp and 2amp adapters all the better, but needs at least 1amp if supplying/replacing your own adapter.

It is only with the latest release of Roku products that some models no longer include this power adapter in the box.  Not a coincidence that more users are now experiencing these power-related issues during setup since many users are now relying on their TV USB power ports to supply the necessary power. (which these ports may or may not be able to produce adequately).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos