Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robdread2011
Binge Watcher

Tv keeps recognizing old roku device and not new one

Jump to solution

I removed my old device from my account and connected new one, but my TV keeps showing the old device. I've unplugged TV, re-plugged in device, nothing works.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tv keeps recognizing old roku device and not new one

Jump to solution

Ahhhh.  Maybe the issue is with the TV.  Sometimes the TV reports a "label" for the HDMI that a device is connected to. (ie. from my TV settings, I can rename these labels.  If I wanted to, I could plug in a Roku and call it a DVD.  Or if I plugged my Roku into the HDMI port that my DVD player was plugged into, my TV would report my Roku as DVD).

Some TVs automatically detect when a new HDMI device is plugged in, while others don't.

Try toggling through through the HDMI Inputs using your TV remote (not Roku remote) and see if the "new" Roku device pops up.  If it simply the label issue, try going into the TV HDMI settings and see if you can rename it.

Are we getting closer to what you are seeing and having an issue with?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Robdread2011 

Roku devices are linked to your Roku account.  If you setup the new Roku device under the same Roku account (email address) that you did previously, then it should make available all the channels/apps/subscriptions that were on your previous one.  This is normal behavior.

Unless I am missing something here, that more details from you will clear up.

0 Kudos
Robdread2011
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm not explaining this well. The device I plugged in was previously connected to my account and still is. Everything I turn the TV on, I get a generally blank screen and system says it's the old device, which is no longer connected to the account or eve connected to the tv.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm guessing you mean you renamed the input on your TV???  If so, you can rename it again if it matters.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Ahhhh.  Maybe the issue is with the TV.  Sometimes the TV reports a "label" for the HDMI that a device is connected to. (ie. from my TV settings, I can rename these labels.  If I wanted to, I could plug in a Roku and call it a DVD.  Or if I plugged my Roku into the HDMI port that my DVD player was plugged into, my TV would report my Roku as DVD).

Some TVs automatically detect when a new HDMI device is plugged in, while others don't.

Try toggling through through the HDMI Inputs using your TV remote (not Roku remote) and see if the "new" Roku device pops up.  If it simply the label issue, try going into the TV HDMI settings and see if you can rename it.

Are we getting closer to what you are seeing and having an issue with?

0 Kudos
Robdread2011
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That did the trick. I had to swap my roku and bluray player, but it worked.