Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iceman1913
Channel Surfer

The Roku box won't seem to turn off

Jump to solution

So I've noticed when I shut down, the light is still on in the Roku box. I've tried turning it off by pressing the power button on the TV, but to no avail. When the TV itself is fully off though, pressing the power button actually turns the TV on. Any thoughts on how this could be fixed....?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Roku box won't seem to turn off

Jump to solution

@Iceman1913 

The Roku devices never really turn "off" (unless you disconnect it from power/pull the plug).

The Roku devices enter into a "sleep mode/low-power mode" after a bit of time after streaming is ended.   (screensaver usually kicks in and LED power light should turn off).

When you are finished streaming, make sure to press the Home button on remote. (this will return you to home screen and cease streaming/data usage).  Otherwise, the Roku device will continue to stream away in the background until maybe a screensaver or bandwidth saver setting kicks in if enabled in settings.

Pressing the Power button has no effect on the Roku device.  The Power button and the Volume buttons are "TV controls" only.

When you are powering down next time, try pressing the Home button (to return to Home Screen), and then press the Power Button (to turn off TV).  After a few minutes, the Roku device should fall asleep and you should notice the LED light go off.

When you go to use the Roku next time, press the Power button on the remote to turn on TV, and then press the Home button to "wake up" the Roku device. 

You can also try enabling HDMI CEC on both your TV and the Roku device. (Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play).  When enabled, pressing Home button should simulataneously turn on your TV, switch to the appropriate HDMI port, and wake your Roku device.  You will still need to use the Power button to turn off the TV after pressing Home to stop streaming when you are done.

----

You may want to enable the Bandwidth Saver in the Roku Settings (Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver).  This will automatically stop streaming after 4hrs if you inadvertently leave the Roku device on.

Note: some users have reported that some newer 480x Ultra devices LED lights never seem to turn off (or sometimes on) so suspect some bug in OS/firmware that is affecting some users' Ultra devices) if you are already following above methods.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Iceman1913 

The Roku devices never really turn "off" (unless you disconnect it from power/pull the plug).

The Roku devices enter into a "sleep mode/low-power mode" after a bit of time after streaming is ended.   (screensaver usually kicks in and LED power light should turn off).

When you are finished streaming, make sure to press the Home button on remote. (this will return you to home screen and cease streaming/data usage).  Otherwise, the Roku device will continue to stream away in the background until maybe a screensaver or bandwidth saver setting kicks in if enabled in settings.

Pressing the Power button has no effect on the Roku device.  The Power button and the Volume buttons are "TV controls" only.

When you are powering down next time, try pressing the Home button (to return to Home Screen), and then press the Power Button (to turn off TV).  After a few minutes, the Roku device should fall asleep and you should notice the LED light go off.

When you go to use the Roku next time, press the Power button on the remote to turn on TV, and then press the Home button to "wake up" the Roku device. 

You can also try enabling HDMI CEC on both your TV and the Roku device. (Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play).  When enabled, pressing Home button should simulataneously turn on your TV, switch to the appropriate HDMI port, and wake your Roku device.  You will still need to use the Power button to turn off the TV after pressing Home to stop streaming when you are done.

----

You may want to enable the Bandwidth Saver in the Roku Settings (Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver).  This will automatically stop streaming after 4hrs if you inadvertently leave the Roku device on.

Note: some users have reported that some newer 480x Ultra devices LED lights never seem to turn off (or sometimes on) so suspect some bug in OS/firmware that is affecting some users' Ultra devices) if you are already following above methods.

Iceman1913
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, this is very helpful. I must have invoked a power-saver along the way, because when I pressed the Home button after it had been idle for a few hours, the light in the Roku box went off immediately. I guess I have some things to learn about this device!

0 Kudos
Iceman1913
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

And now the Roku box won;t turn on!

We were on vacation for a week, I come back, everything seems fine, but when I go to watch streaming, nada. I changed the batteries in my remote, nothing. The streaming on my other two TVs in the hime work fine. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Iceman1913 

What is the model number of the device you are having an issue with?  If you unplug the power and plug it back in, does it look like a little blue/white light is doing anything?

What exactly are you seeing (a blank screen, a Roku screen but no movement, etc).  Are you sure you are on the correct HDMI input?

If you currently have the device plugged into the TV USB port for power, try using a power adapter at the wall instead (any cell phone charging adapter 5volts, 1amp should work).

0 Kudos
Iceman1913
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Pretty sure it's the Roku Express Streaming Device, it's pretty basic, don't know the model number. I unplugged it but no light is visible anywhere on the device.  It shows a blank screen, yes, using the correct HDMI input.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Iceman1913 

If swapping out the power adapter at the wall outlet (try another adapter with 5volt, 1amp specs), followed by trying another micro-usb power cable, does not get the device to power up, then would conclude that the device has likely failed.

If under a year, then should qualify for warranty replacement.  https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

0 Kudos
Iceman1913
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help. I bought this from Best Buy, so now I have to figure out how to get a refund or replacement from them. I don't have the box it came in but pretty sure I have the receipt. <sigh>

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.