Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andyg53
Channel Surfer

Streaming stick 4k audio menu

I just replaced a Roku ultra with a streaming stick with the goal of having fewer cables collecting dust. When I go to settings > audio > digital output format, the choice for 'passthrough' is no longer present. Before I purchased the stick, I read the Roku website info and it states that stick supports dolby passthrough.

So, how do I do it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming stick 4k audio menu

Hi @Andyg53,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further. Surround sound pass-through is only available when your Roku streaming player is connected via HDMI or optical (when available). Although some Roku players can decode Dolby Digital, the audio will be output in stereo unless your player is connected to an AVR or soundbar, as described in this article.

We hope this helps, and please keep us posted if you need anything else.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Andyg53
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming stick 4k audio menu

John,

Thanks for your response but it misses the point of my question, likely due to the poor wording of my question. I have a Sonos Arc that supports Dolby Atmos and 4K TV that does. My Roku is connected to a sound extractor which sends video to the TV and audio to the Sonos. 

When I go to the digital output format menu my current Ultra, I am presented with 4 choices - auto, passthrough, stereo, custom. I use 'passthrough' for the Sonos which decodes Atmos.

I bought a Stick solely to eliminate a few cables. I only bought it after reading on the Roku website that it >>Supports pass-through of Dolby-encoded audio over HDMI<<.  When I connected the Stick to my sound extractor and went to the Roku output format menu, the choice 'passthrough' is no longer present. Where did it go?

Roku's tech support has been less than stellar. I called and while speaking with someone was disconnected. I called back and spoke with another person who said that he would elevate my question about passthrough and promised a follow up email within 24 hours. Didn't happen. So I posted here.

The whole question is moot as I returned the Stick and reinstalled my Ultra. Does Roku monitor this forum?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.