Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boydd

Set up with Roku Ultra no sound

Jump to solution

I have had this Roku ultra for several years now nothing has changed in my system but all of a sudden all movies and streaming content have no audio. The audio still works when moving around the menu in the Roku and even going to things like Netflix that have previews has audio. But as soon as I start to play any movie on one of the streaming apps or with Plex there is no audio. If I set the Roku audio output the stereo I get audio back but it's obviously not in surround sound. I have always had the audio settings on the Roku set to auto. HDMI cable goes from Roku to my TV. Then optical output out of the TV to my receiver. This is how I have always had it set up and it has always worked. All of a sudden today I have no audio.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Set up with Roku Ultra no sound

Jump to solution

Hi, @boydd.

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're encountering odd behavior with your Roku Device's audio. We're here to help you resolve it.

Since your Roku Device is connected to an audio receiver, we highly suggest doing the following steps to see if it makes a difference:

1. Make sure the correct input is selected on your AVR or soundbar.
  2. Check the volume level and mute settings on your television and the master volume level on the AVR or soundbar. Make sure the mute is OFF and that the volume setting is at an appropriately audible level. If you need help, check the manufacturer's documentation for your TV, AVR, or soundbar.
  3. If you use a composite cable, check that the audio connectors are snugly attached between your Roku player, the AVR or soundbar, and the AVR or soundbar and the TV. Composite audio cables commonly have a red or white connector.
  4. Connect the Roku player to a different input on the AVR or soundbar (ideally, one you know works) and see if you can now hear sound. If you can, there is a problem with the previous input on the AVR or soundbar.
  5. Try changing the cables one at a time.

For more comprehensive information, you may visit this support FAQ on what to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player.

Let us know if you still have problems; we're ready to assist you further.

Regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @boydd.

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're encountering odd behavior with your Roku Device's audio. We're here to help you resolve it.

Since your Roku Device is connected to an audio receiver, we highly suggest doing the following steps to see if it makes a difference:

1. Make sure the correct input is selected on your AVR or soundbar.
  2. Check the volume level and mute settings on your television and the master volume level on the AVR or soundbar. Make sure the mute is OFF and that the volume setting is at an appropriately audible level. If you need help, check the manufacturer's documentation for your TV, AVR, or soundbar.
  3. If you use a composite cable, check that the audio connectors are snugly attached between your Roku player, the AVR or soundbar, and the AVR or soundbar and the TV. Composite audio cables commonly have a red or white connector.
  4. Connect the Roku player to a different input on the AVR or soundbar (ideally, one you know works) and see if you can now hear sound. If you can, there is a problem with the previous input on the AVR or soundbar.
  5. Try changing the cables one at a time.

For more comprehensive information, you may visit this support FAQ on what to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku® streaming player.

Let us know if you still have problems; we're ready to assist you further.

Regards,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@boydd, in addition to those suggestions, see if you have any of the "Volume modes" enabled while you're playing a video.  I've noticed that not all models support them on all videos and you'll get no sound.

How to use volume modes on your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.