Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aedan1234
Reel Rookie

Select the device to setup keeps popping up randomly

When using Sling or Amazon Prime live channels, it seems that frequently I will get booted out of the app, and into the select the device to setup screen.  It's a Roku Premier +, and last year we bought a Roku Voice remote, had no issues setting it up but just seems like even after over a month of having no issues with Sling (or the remote), it's been starting to do this setup, and exits out of the live channels.  I may have noticed it did it a couple times last week while watching a non live stream show or movie.  Without having to factory reset, what can I do to stop this nuisance?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Select the device to setup keeps popping up randomly

Hi @Aedan1234 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku Premier+? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Aedan1234
Reel Rookie

We have it connected to a Monster TV strip, but it's in the DVR/TIVO plug slot, its snug, the cable doesn't seem to be bent or shorting, and that particular slot, when the TV is off, the DVR/TIVO plug does not turn off, so I can use the Roku remotes to wake the TV up and turn it on.  I do notice if I put the remote down or bump or tap the table that it's on, sometimes it seems to trigger it, I personally haven't dropped the remote but maybe someone else has.  Not sure.  I know in the past the Premier + has overheated I think and either shut down or restarted, or that could even be an update I don't know.  Seems to be running okay at the moment but probably an hour or two ago after starting up an Apple TV show it kicked in shortly after.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@Aedan1234 

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like your device isn't powered by the wall outlet. We suggest plugging your Roku device into a working power outlet in the wall then let us know if there's any difference after. 

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Aedan1234
Reel Rookie

I think I discovered what was causing the issue.  Every time I tapped, or crashed into the table, putting a soda down or water, even tripping on a cord and kicking a power strip into the table, I started to think, it's not the new remote, as it was on the couch, I then thought, hey where's the old remote?  I unlinked the remote months ago, and then thought maybe it's underneath something, so I found it under a pad of paper with candy ontop, so the bumps were triggering the old remote to relink.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Aedan1234

Thanks for following up. 

It's great to hear that you have found what caused the issue occurs. We express our gratitude for your effort in checking this on your end.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if there is any further assistance we may provide for you.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos