Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cellis4766

Roku keeps changing "Display Type" while watching - black screen

I have a new Roku Ultra, but can't seem to get the settings correct. Every few minutes the screen goes black for 10 - 15 seconds and when it comes back on, it says "Dolby Vision" in the upper right corner of the screen - I think its trying to change the display to a different setting. After switching to the black screen and back several times, the Roku disconnects and I either need to unplug the HDMI and plug it back in, or switch the ports on the Philips Hue Sync Box several times to get the Roku to display again. I've changed the video and display settings in the Roku box, and the television but it seems to continue no matter how I have it set up.  

My current setup (in order of connection) is:

Roku Ultra
Philips Hue Sync Box
Vizio Elevate Soundbar
LG 65C2 Television

Prior to this, I had a Roku Streaming Stick, which worked with no problems, and other inputs into the Play box also have no issues, so I'm pretty sure its the Roku Ultra. Anyone have any suggestions? It's currently unwatchable and kinda frustrating that it's not working out of the box.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku keeps changing "Display Type" while watching - black screen

@cellis4766 

Try disabling the Auto Refresh Rate if you have it enabled. (this should stop the screen flash).

Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Auto-Adjust Display Refresh Rate/ [Off ]

May also want to manually set your Display Type if using Automatic.

Settings/Display Type/ [manually set your preferred type ]

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.