Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minatakry

Roku Streaming Sticks Question

Already have a Roku tv (although it is several years old and doesn't have all the channels I'd like, such as Apple TV). Looking to get a streaming stick. Was looking at a basic 2021 stick, but also noticed the 2020 version of the streaming stick+. Is it worth it to get the "higher quality" streaming stick+ even if it's a year older or go with the less features (?) but newer? Any advice or thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Sticks Question

Roku and retailers just confuse things when they refer to Roku models by year instead of model numbers.   When a Roku model is sold for several years without it being updated, you can find the exact same Roku with different years indicated.

There were no Streaming Stick models released in 2020.  Most recent releases prior to this were:

Released in October 2017:
Roku Streaming Stick (3800) - HD receiver, 512 MB memory, 256 MB channel storage
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810) - 4K receiver, 1 GB memory,  512 MG channel storage
.. so I'd guess something identified as 2020 is likely one of these models from 2017

Released in October 2021 and still current in the product line (both 4K):
Roku Streaming Stick 4K (3820) - 4K, 1 GB memory, 4 GB channel storage, includes Voice Remote
Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ (3821) - identical Roku, but with Voice Remote Pro

I'd say go with either of the two current models.  Even if you won't be using with a 4K tv for now, they will work fine with an HD set, plus you'll be ready if you get a 4K set in the future.  The Voice Remote Pro adds an earphone jack for private listening, a built-in rechargeable battery, and a find-my-remote feature you can access via the Roku phone app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.