Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCRAPS
Streaming Star

Roku Stick+ Sound Issues On Two TVs

I have two Roku Stick+ devices (one I got in 2019, the other in 2021). Over the past four months or so, I have noticed that there's a problem with the sound while using the Roku Stick+.

LET'S START WITH THE NEWER DEVICE: The sound has been cutting out at times. Other times, the sound gets distorted. When either of those issues occurs, I first check for updates and then restart the Stick+. I always have to restart the device no matter what. This is either every other day or every day.

ABOUT THE OLDER DEVICE: Recently, the sound began to cut out completely. I first check for updates and then I restart the device. This happens at least two to three times a week. At first, I thought it was the tv (2013 Sony Bravia).

This is really getting annoying because it just keeps happening. It doesn't matter if I'm watching a paid streaming subscription (i.e., Discovery+, Peacock), a free subscription (i.e., Pluto, PBS) or live.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's obviously an issue with the Roku Stick+ device (3810x). Although one is five years old, it has had less issues than the newer device. And I don't like options of the newer available devices. 

SO, the question is this: does it seem to you that the Roku Stick+ devices need replacing? Please answer in the comment section below.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
goatman1

Re: Roku Stick+ Sound Issues On Two TVs

I don't have a stick. My issue is that some shows / movies I have to turn the volume up to almost max. to hear it, then a commerical comes on and blows my ear drums out. Seriously, really bad. Now, ( which I thought there was a law against such practice ) I'll be watching some program and bam! the commerical comes on and again I'm blasted. They seem to be primarily app / game advertisement. Whatever the issue is, it's ridiculous and totally uncalled for. I want buy a product from such an advertisement. Horrible business practice.

0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Streaming Star

@goatman1 As recently as last month, I turned off the automatic volume leveling on the Roku Stick+. It doesn't even display as an option, anymore - so I know that feeling of obnoxiously loud ads that you speak of. Honestly, those loud ads were still loud when I had the automatic volume leveling on. I know some of the ads that are loud, so as soon as I see them come on, I hit that mute button as fast as possible.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SCRAPS @goatman1,

Thanks for keeping us posted, and welcome to the Roku Community!

We want to further investigate your issue with the Roku streaming stick since it has an audio problem. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Do you have any other device/s connected to your TV? (e.g., speakers and other sound systems)
  • Is the issue happening on all contents/channels, or is this isolated to 1 content/channel? (Specify)

In the meantime, you may check out this support article here on what to do if you do not hear sound from your Roku streaming player.

We look forward to hearing from you soon. 

Regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SCRAPS
Streaming Star

@RokuJohnB There are no external audio devices connected to the tv. I did all of the audio tests told to me by the television manufacturers.

I've ordered a new Roku Stick 4K & a new Philips Roku TV. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.