Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem setting up using HDMI to component adapter

thanks for your reply. i did find an n1000 online. i guess it wouldn't have the apps that i need? i'm specifically looking for it to run the xfinity (comcast) stream app, as i use the roku to extend my cable coverage.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve seen stories of Rokus that old not even activating any more.  Though I can’t say that they are guaranteed not to activate.  After that, it’s also not on Xfinity’s supported list which is here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

"Devices must be on minimum firmware version 8.1 b1 or higher."

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

Thank you again. I might try spending a little to find out, otherwise I'll have to try to get my hdmi to component converters to works, or just enjoy SD TV. It's a shame, since I have an HD over the air antenna on the same TV, and it looks so much better. 

0 Kudos
DavidofNB
Channel Surfer

It's now working.  Of course, I don't truly know for certain why the previous adapter didn't work or why the current adapter does work.  The one big difference between the two is that the current adapter has a Resolution button.  When first hooked up, the TV image was not good so I pressed the Resolution button until I had a clear image on the TV.

Just what that resolution is, I don't know.  I have found 2 resolutions, both of which are clear, but one of them seems to not quite fit onto the screen.  For example, text along the top of the screen is partially cut off.  Maybe one of them is 720i and the other is 720p?  Maybe someone can say?

If the two adapters you tried were like my first one, maybe you could try one that is like my second one - the one that works!

I wanted to add a new image as I did in my original post but all I see is Insert/edit Image and that's definitely not how I did it before.  Oh well, take my word for it.  It now works.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Without knowing the TV's specifications, it's tough to say what resolution you are seeing. The important thing is you found a setting that worked. Most TVs with component inputs have limited resolution support, with the most common being 1080i, 720p and 575/480p. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

here's the adapter i've been using, which worked previously on an older tv with a cable box, not a roku. there was another tv that it didn't work on. no resolution switch. my tv supports 1080i. i have another just like it which is a radio shack brand, same behavior.

Z_DHCOPF.jpg

0 Kudos
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

glad yours is working now, btw. 🙂

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nnjjoe50, that adapter you have may just be a simple cable that routes HDMI pins to the RCA connectors.  If so, they don't do any kind of converting and only work with a limited number of devices, Roku devices not being one of them.  You need an actual converter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Component-Converter-avedio-links-Projector/dp/B082HT11MH/

You'll find lost of them on Amazon with and without attached cables.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

Hey Jim, thanks. I thought these adapters were a little more. They did work on a couple of tvs, but maybe I got lucky. They didn't work on dune other tvs.

0 Kudos
nnjjoe50
Channel Surfer

you know, i have to go look through my stuff. i think i have one of those that i used in another application. i've got so many gadgets that i've lost track. lots of obsolete stuff too! 😄