Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eea123
Channel Surfer

Private Channel for Streaming Music Videos to multiple ROKU TVs on same home network

Jump to solution

Missing the old days of MTV, I'd like to play the same music videos on the living room and basement TV.  Our living room TV's RCA outs are also connected to the stereo, so lag between TVs really throws the experience off.  I'd like this work like tuning to the same channel and listening / watching.

So I've tried setting up a PLEX server and using "Watch Together" to play the same music videos at the same time throughout the house and there is too much lag.

Is there an easy way to setup a private ROKU channel to do this?

Roku XDS, 3 and Sharp-Roku Smart TV(s)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private Channel for Streaming Music Videos to multiple ROKU TVs on same home network

Jump to solution

@eea123 

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Roku's old "private channels" are called non-certified apps/channels. During the old "private channels" days, Roku did not have a limit on them. The idea was a "private channel" would be for the developer to get the app out there until it got certified into the Channel Store.

With many developers leaving apps as Private Channels, circumventing Roku's intent, Roku revamped the process a year or so ago. A non-certified app (Private Channel) can only exist for 90 days, until the app is certified.

That's not necessarily to say you can't find some way to accomplish what you're after, just to say that Private Channels is not the way.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private Channel for Streaming Music Videos to multiple ROKU TVs on same home network

Jump to solution

@eea123 

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Roku's old "private channels" are called non-certified apps/channels. During the old "private channels" days, Roku did not have a limit on them. The idea was a "private channel" would be for the developer to get the app out there until it got certified into the Channel Store.

With many developers leaving apps as Private Channels, circumventing Roku's intent, Roku revamped the process a year or so ago. A non-certified app (Private Channel) can only exist for 90 days, until the app is certified.

That's not necessarily to say you can't find some way to accomplish what you're after, just to say that Private Channels is not the way.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
eea123
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Fair enough and thanks for the follow up.

Literally I think I could accomplish what I am after with an HDMI splitter cable between the living and basement feed, but the length is a bit of a challenge.

Roku XDS, 3 and Sharp-Roku Smart TV(s)
0 Kudos