Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Surround Sound System Hooked through TV

Hoping someone can help before I purchase.  I have a 2016 Samsung Smart TV and a Sony Surround Sound System (much older) that is hooked up through the TV.  My Samsung TV cannot access some streaming channels due to outdated software so I was looking at getting a streaming box to assist.  I am a bit confused reading about audio systems and wondering if I will have to reconnect my surround sound to the Roku box in order to work.  If so, it will be useless because the cables are the old colored cables which the Roku do not have available.  Can I leave it hooked up through my TV (it is also hooked up so it works with my BluRay player)?  Can the remote be set up for the volume to be used with the surround sound system and not the TV?  Thank you for any help!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Old Surround Sound System Hooked through TV

If the tv has hdmi and the blue-ray player's sound is heard through current stereo, there's reason the roku can't either. 

Roku remotes only control TV's directly, sorry. If the stereo was connected to tv by HDMI, it might have been controlled via hdmi-cec. But not in your case with the rca cables. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos