Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill-Bee
Reel Rookie

New Roku Express shorted out?

Got 2 new #Roku Express.  First one I installed, no problem.  Second one, I plugged USB cord and adapter (why did I need to buy an adapter?) into power strip/surge suppressor: there was a flash, a pop, a brief smell of ozone.  I reset circuit breaker, surge suppressor was dead so I bought a new one.  Thank heaven everything still worked, TV, cable box, DVD player.  But the Roku was dead, no signal, no light on front

I believe the Roku had a short.  I would like it replaced.  I find the Roku site informative but can't seem to get a human to authorize any remedy.  "Let's get in touch" seemed promising but loads interminably.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: New Roku Express shorted out?

Hi @Bill-Bee,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you encountered with your second Roku Express. A flash, pop, and ozone smell are certainly concerning, and I understand why you would like it to be replaced.

Please allow me to suggest some troubleshooting steps that might help resolve the issue. You can try the following:

1. Unplug the Roku Express and wait for 30 seconds before plugging it back in.
  2. Check if the device is properly connected to the TV and the power source.
  3. Try a different HDMI cable and/or a different HDMI port on your TV.
  4. Try connecting your Roku streaming player to the USB port on your TV.

You can see more here: What to do if your Roku streaming player will not power on

If these steps do not resolve the issue, please do not hesitate to let us know for further assistance. Kindly include the affected serial number of the device. Each Roku player has its serial number or device ID printed on the bottom or back of the product. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Bill-Bee
Reel Rookie

Thanks, Nimfa, for responding so quickly.

I tried to get the Roku Express working -- I replaced the HDMI cable.  I replaced the USB adapter, and I tried swapping in the adapter and USB cable that were working fine with the other Roku.  I am using a power strip/surge suppressor which is brand new, and which is powering other devices like the tv, so I'm sure it works well.  (Your instructions suggest trying a wall outlet instead of power strip, but it's very difficult to access in my cabinet.)  I never got a signal on my tv from the roku, and I never saw any light on the face of the roku.

Roku Express SN is SOKC32C79F17, Model 396OX.  I'm pretty sure that's S O K but it might be S zero K.

Bill

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Bill-Bee 

Thanks for the details. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.
Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos