Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mudmonkey
Reel Rookie

Message box on screen that wont go away

I have a 32 " JVC Roku tv. I have been using it just off the cable with the internet not connected. My landlord switched provider recently and we have both been having issues with internet but cable was working.  Tonight I couldn't get cable to work . When I asked LL he turned on his tv and my cable came on.  

But I have a message box in upper corner of my of screen. I tried factory reset still there, hooked tv to internet , it would go away but if I switched to cable it was there. I have taken the tv off the roku acct and am about ready to scream I am so frustrated ! 

For the sake of my sanity please tell me how to reset the tv and watch cable without the box in the corner!!! I really do not need or want my tv on internet. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Message box on screen that wont go away

What does the message say?  Can you provide a picture?  Are you sure it's not coming from the cable box?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mudmonkey
Reel Rookie

No clue where the message comes from. 

Cant see how to upload photo.

It says " You have lost your internet connection" 

Which wasn't connected when the message showed up. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

@Mudmonkey wrote:

I tried factory reset still there, hooked tv to internet , it would go away but if I switched to cable it was there.

I believe that's because it's coming from your cable box.  Also the fact that the LL had to turn his TV on to make yours work suggests that your cable box is some kind of client box that is dependent on his.  You probably need some cable setting to make the message go away.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Mudmonkey
Reel Rookie

My cable box has never been dependent on whether his tv was on or not. It was very strange that this happened. 

However I unplugged my tv overnight and just started it up again and the message is now gone. 

We have been having issues with the new provider but it has been with the wi fi/ internet. About 70% of the time I have to turn off my wi fi on my phone and loadvthe website or app over my data connection. Then turn wi fi back on, its a strong / fast connection. Going to look at a signal booster for me down here. 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.