Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatriceCS
Reel Rookie

Re: Menu screen is too large to see

Jump to solution

... screen is too wide and some words are cutoff at edges for me too after just setting up new device, my old Roku 3 in new house. Didn't have this problem at old house when I set it up. Tried "Display" in Roku Settings, selected automatic. Didn't help. Tried switching both 720 and 1080 resolution. Didn't help.

Someone said in TV setttings, to change from wide to normal. But I don't have cable, just Roku. So when I go to TV as "Source," it's just static, black and white, screen...no signal without cable connection. Can't get to TV settings any other way that I know of. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You don't need to change inputs on the TV.  You just need to use whatever settings your TV has to control the picture format of the input with the Roku attached.  Exactly what button you press for that varies from one TV to the next.  Besides an extensive menu of settings, some TVs also have a button that directly cycles through zoom/stretch-type options.

By the way, on some TVs, this setting controls all inputs at once, and on others, only the current input, so make sure the Roku is the current input when you adjust it.

0 Kudos
LisaK1111

Jump to solution

I’ve had this problem multiple times after hitting a random button on my television remote. It’s the “wide” button. Press and it will go back to the normal size. Nothing to do with Roku. User idiocy (me). 

0 Kudos
Sunneeday

Jump to solution

The wallpaper setting in Roku can do this sometimes. My screen was fine until Roku added a holiday wallpaper automatically that made everything too big to view on the home screen. If it is a wallpaper issue go to Settings - Theme - Wallpapers and try out different wallpapers to see if that fixes it. 

0 Kudos
Sharon54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

What I notice changes the size is when you check yes, which Roku recommends, for them to add their seasonal theme. Every time it kicks in my screen blows up so I check no for that option. The one they recommend, be it 720 or 1080 has no effect on the issue; from my end at least.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Sharon54,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. 

Are you using a Roku player or Roku TV? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? 

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
racerx500

Jump to solution

I tried this and it did not work. My tv is also on standard. It still did not work any suggestions?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @racerx500

Thanks for your post.

We have received several reports of similar issues being resolved by adjusting the TV settings or the display type on their Roku devices. Have you tried these steps already? If not, we suggest giving them a try as they may resolve the issue for you.

To adjust your TV settings, you can refer to your TV's user manual or consult with the manufacturer for specific instructions.

To adjust the display type on your Roku device, you can see more here: How to change the display type on your Roku streaming player

Please let us know if these steps helped or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Mikie14
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried changing to lowering resolution on Roku and tv.  Didn’t help.  When I first set up Roku , I didn’t have this problem.  I’ve been messing with this for months.  I wonder if reset would help or hurt.  Nothing I’ve tried has worked.  I can’t read the menu options on the left.

0 Kudos
Mikie14
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If you read my post, I’ve tried these as far as I can tell.  Did not help

0 Kudos