Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcox19
Reel Rookie

I got new wifi and I have no Roku remote

Hello!

We had a dog eat our Roku remote a couple years ago and have been using an app since.
We had an issue with our internet provider and had to get new WiFi. 
With not having a Roku remote, and getting new wifi, my device isn’t able to be located on the Roku. And I don’t have the old router to be able to look up connected devices to pull the IP Address.
How do I connect my phone to the Roku without being on the same wifi, and unable to find the IP Address? Or is there another way to locate the IP Address besides in the Roku settings or using the router?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I got new wifi and I have no Roku remote

You didn't state your Roku model number. If your new router is using the same SSID and password as your old router, then the Roku should reconnect to the WiFi without an issue. But if the SSID and/or password is different, you must have a remote to reconnect the Roku to the WiFi. You have no other option. This of course doesn't apply if your Roku has an wired Ethernet connection. In that case your Roku should be visible in your Roku app on your phone, unless there's a security setting in your new router that is blocking connected devices from seeing other connected devices on your network. You'd have to check the router settings for that.

As long as your Roku is NOT a Roku Stick (the kind that connects directly to a TV without a cable), you can get an inexpensive universal IR remote to control the Roku. I see them available in local stores that sell remotes for less than $10. Just make sure they list Roku as a supported device. If you do have a Roku Stick, you MUST have an official Roku remote, as the Stick models are all WiFi Direct only for the remote. And if you have the old purple Roku Stick, you can't get a new remote at all, as that device is no longer supported by Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
kcox19
Reel Rookie

It’s a 4620X

kcox19
Reel Rookie

And the SSID is different

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The 4620 is the only Premiere with dual band WiFi, so it can connect to 2.4 and 5 GHz. It does not have an Ethernet port. It does support an IR remote, so that would be the simplest way to get a cheap remote. You could also edit your SSID and password on the new router to match the old one, in which case your Roku should reconnect without a problem and you could then use the phone app.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Lanyap514
Reel Rookie

Recently, I found a solution where if you set up a hotspot and name it as your old Wi-Fi. It will connect to your hotspot and then with a different phone you change the information to your current Wi-Fi. This did work for me, but now I’m currently in a situation where it won’t recognize that my phone and the Roku are on the same Wi-Fi so beware that that might happen, I don’t have access to the Wi-Fi here so you might be better off because you do let me know if that helps. Thanks. 

0 Kudos