I reconnected the device again after leaving it disconnected overnight. This was the 3rd time I tried this trick. Magically it worked! It makes no sense to me that leaving it disconnected for overnight somehow unsticks the software. I am happy it now works. I am also worried it will get stuck again.
Thanks for the response. Many of the resets I did were the factory reset. Eventually on the 3rd overnight disconnect from power it now magically works. I posted that info before I saw your post.
Earlier in this adventure i went down the replacement request rabbit hole. I purchased my roku less that a year ago from Amazon. The device did NOT show in the place on my roku account which says my device is eligible for replacement. I guess I'm lucky it started working again since I couldn't have received a replacement.