Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Movedon

Error 003 - Can't update software

Jump to solution

Same error 99% of the time contrary to what TS says it is NOT your network.  Mine was a bad Roku device out of the box.  Returned and bought and Apple TV.

Quality Count!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

Jump to solution

Hi, valued Community users!

If you encounter Error 003 or "Can't update software. Please try again later," it means that your network connection is unstable.

Please be aware that, despite our reliable internet connection, there may be occasional disruptions due to speed or signal strength fluctuations. We recommend checking the number of devices currently connected to the network.

The message typically contains one of the following error codes: 001, 002, 003, 004, or 005.

Here are some recommended options to consider:

• Try rebooting both the router and Roku device by unplugging them from the power outlet for 20 seconds before plugging them back in.
  • Explore the option of connecting to a mobile hotspot and performing the update.

For more detailed guidance, kindly visit our support page on How to fix Roku streaming device update problems. 

For more tips on improving your internet, visit our support page on How to improve the Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection to your Roku streaming device.

If the issue persists after attempting all troubleshooting steps, we recommend contacting your internet service provider for further assistance.

Roku Community Team

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24

Jump to solution
I have a Roku Express 3900x I’ve not used for some years.

I have attempted to set it up. I connected it to the TV via the provided HDMI cable. The electrical supply is connected directly to the wall. I powered it up, located my network, and entered my network password. I then received  “Checking for new software” and then immediately "Software update failed (error code 003).

I did a factory reset of the Roku and tried installation once again. I got the same results, stuck at "Software update failed." 

I unplugged my router, did a factory reset of the Roku, and powered my router on after 10 minutes. The situation is still the same - it connects to the Wifi and then hangs on Software update - "Software update failed."

I did a factory reset of the Roku and tried connecting it to the network using my cell phone hotspot. It connected to the Wifi and then hangs onSoftware update - "Software update failed."

I cannot get into the Roku to discover what is the previous firmware. 

The serial number on the unit is C337CC581607. 

0 Kudos
gackdeux

New premier+ fails to connect with code 003

Jump to solution

Have a newish premier+ that is going through INITIAL setup and fails to update with code 003. Have tried wired, wireless, mobile hotspot, different location wireless and all 4 fail- 3 different networks.  Have done a hard reset and it fails. Have contacted support and they still say it is the network, but have tried 3 different networks and support is too stupid to understand. So what else can I do?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New premier+ fails to connect

Jump to solution

If you truly have the 4630, then your device isn't "newish" :). It was released in Oct 2016, so approaching eight years old. 

That said, it does support both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, so perhaps you can try something different. Make sure your 5 GHz WiFi is using a non-DFS channel (48 and below, 149 and above). That way you can insure your Roku can see the 5 GHz radio.

That said, the fact it won't work on wired, wireless or the hotspot makes me think that Roku has bit the dust. It just isn't reasonable that it won't work on any of them. Sounds like something deeper in the OS. And with an eight year old device, it's not worth the effort to attempt any sort of repair. The Roku Express 4K+ is $40, and the 4K Streaming Stick is on sale for $40. Both will run circles around the Premiere+ you're trying to set up.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Max55
Reel Rookie

Re: Can't update software error 003

Jump to solution

Hi NowTV Roku Smart Stick during initial setup after language and network choice with a very strong signal I get this message on screen:

Software update failed.
The software update server could not be reached. There maybe a problem with your network.Select 'check network' to check your network connection or 'Cancel' and try again later (error code 003)

I have a good network is there Roku feed down maybe? Is it possible to update in other ways?

My stick is resetted to factory and now I can't make it working. I have alreadry tryed many time pushing reset on stick. Thanks for answering, 

0 Kudos
tampabebe

Jump to solution

During initial setup my streaming stick gives an 003 error. Happen with any wife network in connect to.

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community, @tampabebe.

We understand that you're experiencing trouble setting up your Roku Device. We're here to help.

Please be advised that Error 003 means that your network connection is unstable. Even with a robust internet connection, speed or signal strength fluctuations can result in delays or errors. The number of devices connected to the network must also be considered, as it can impact overall performance. 

You might try...

• Reboot your router by unplugging it from the power source for 60 seconds, then plug it back in.
  • Also, try an alternative internet connection, such as a Mobile Hotspot, to see if it improves your experience.

For additional information about improving your internet connectivity, visit this support article here: How to improve your Roku streaming device's Wi-Fi or wireless internet connection.

Let us know how it works.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you can use an alternate network like your phone's hotspot, give that a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Max55
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi it's just the same with my hotspot and router is off (just in case) Stick has been resetted to factory and now won't start sorry for my english. You confirm feeds are up?  

https://channelstore.roku.com/en-gb/maintenance
0 Kudos
Max55
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

roku_stick.png

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.